Author Topic: First emmantaler about to burst!  (Read 6529 times)

green zebra

First emmantaler about to burst!
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:13:37 PM »
Hello All!
I recently posted my first Emmantaler make a couple of weeks ago describing the small fine cracks i was getting. As a few of you suggested, i did apply some oil and it seemed to help the cracks from growing.
Since then, i placed the cheese in a ripening box for it warming period on March 24 at 68-72°, RH 85% with no problems.
With a few days, the bulging started to just go a little crazy. On April 4, last night, i decided to remove the cheese from the box. The temperature was still steady but the height of the bulge was lifting the lid of the box and the humidity dropped down to low 60's but the temperature was ok.
I suppose i could have placed the cheese in a deeper box, but i was concerned it might continue its bulging to the point of deep cracks!
Judging by the bulging i thought maybe the PS has done its job and that i was safe to place the cheese in the my cave.
According to Caldwell's recipe, the warming period should be 3-5 weeks, or until the PS has done its job. My emmantal was removed from the warm box after only 11 days!
Anybody have any ideas if i am doing the right thing?
I have included a picture of the Emmantal just out of the press and the second picture just out of the warming box, last night.

jwalker

Re: First emmantaler about to burst!
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 08:03:05 PM »
I have no idea what's going on inside there.

But , you may want to wear protective gear when you cut into it.

The inside probably looks like this:

green zebra

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 08:32:55 PM »
Yeah, i know eh? LOL!! This thing just kept bulging...i kind of think this is NOT a normal process. Smells great though and with that oiled rind, it looks ready for whatever action MIGHT take place!

I have to say that every time i read your  sign off it makes me laugh...I am sure you keep your wife smiling all the time as much as she shakes her head at the same time!! Yep, just like Jim Carrey!!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2013, 11:25:58 PM »
That is some serious bulging! Hopefully it is just rampant PS and not something more sinister...
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 12:26:25 AM »
This thing just kept bulging...i kind of think this is NOT a normal process.
11 days, huh?  That does seem a little A-B normal. :o

Can you share your recipe?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

green zebra

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 03:01:18 AM »
This recipe comes from Caldwell's Mastering Artisan Cheese, page 278. I doubled the recipe but i write it as shown in the book.
4 gallons whole to partly skimmed milk
1/2 tsp thermo B
1 skewar tip LH 100
1/16tsp PS
1 tsp Calcium Chloride
3/4 tsp rennet
salt

Warm milk to 90-91 °
Sprinkle culture on top of milk. Let set for 2-5 min., stir gently for 3-5 minutes.
Stir in calcium chloride solution for 1 min.  then wait 5 minutes before adding rennet.
Stir in rennet solution with an up-and-down motion for 1 minute. Still milk. Hold temp until clean break is achieved. The goal coagulation time is 25-30 minutes.
Cut curd mass into 1/8" cubes over 5 minutes. Rest 5 minutes.
Stir gently, and increase temperature to 122° over 30-40 min. Hold and stir until the whey pH is 6.3 to 6.4. Curd texture will be firm and springy.
Drain whey to the level of the curds, then pour into cloth-lined colander.
Place cloth with curd bundle into mold. Knead, and hand-press curd into mold. Add weight to equal that of the curd and press for 15 min. Unmold, turn, and repress with weight equal to twice that of the curd for 30 min. Unmold, turn, and continue to press with as much weight as needed to close the rind after one more hour of pressing. Unmold, turn, and continue to press for 12 - 24 hours to a curd pH of 5.3 to 5.4. I was off the goal pH by .2
When goal pH has been reached, unmold, and immerse in a heavy brine for 2.5 hours per pound of cheese in the wheel. The goal salt content is 1.1 to 1.2 percent so as not to halt the growth of the propionic acid bacteria, which are salt sensitive.
Remove from the brine, pat dry, and move to an aging environment at 50-55° and 90% RH for 10-14 days. Turn daily, and wash with a light brine as needed to prevent mold growth. Then move to a warmer environment of 68-75° and 85% RH for 3 to 4 weeks. Turn daily and continue to wash with a light brine as needed. After eye formation is adequate, move the cheese back to the cooler aging environment and age for 4 - 8 months. It can even finish aging at refrigeration temperatures of 38-40°.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2013, 03:34:36 AM »
I wouldn't expect that much swelling so early with that amount of PS.
Time will tell. Fingers crossed.  :-\
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

WovenMeadows

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2013, 11:44:47 AM »
My attempts have always "ballooned" quite quickly as well. Was the milk raw or p/h?

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2013, 01:01:43 PM »
If the rind doesnt pierce\blow your gone have a massively big EYE :)   :o

green zebra

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2013, 01:24:39 PM »
I used pasturized milk...i have no sources for raw.

So i am thinking that i should NOT return the cheese to a warmer environment, currently it is in the cave 55° - 85% RH

Anyone have any experienced suggestions to offer?

tnbquilt

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2013, 01:48:46 PM »
My first one did that because my recipe said to let it sit out "until the eyes formed, 2 to 3 weeks". I didn't know that the swelling meant that the eyes had formed, so I kept flipping it over instead of putting it back in the cave. When I cut into it the insides were blown to pieces. Now when it starts to swell, I flip it over and leave it out for 24 more hours and then I put it back in the cave.

Mine usually swell up in about 5 days, if I make it in the summer.

green zebra

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2013, 02:10:36 PM »
Thanks Tammy...i think my eyes might have "blown up" as welll. I am expecting to find some normal round/oval eyes and some freakish long open gashes of some sort!!

I can wait the months needed to age properly. I doubt the gashes will affect the flavour...or am i wrong? :-[

Still i am happy with the overal results and am glad i doubled the recipe. The last time i made a swiss type cheese, it was half the size and i got no holes at all so this make i am sure will give me at least those results.

jwalker

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2013, 06:43:41 PM »
I may be joining the "exploding cheese" club.

I have a swiss that is in the warm aging phase for a full week now and there is no swelling at all , so I made another yesterday and doubled up the ps , thinking that may be the problem.

I used 1/4 instead of 1/8 teaspoon for a two pound cheese.

I guess we'll see what happens.

Yours should be OK if it doesn't split open , I would think.

Good luck with it.

Cheers , Jim.

green zebra

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2013, 06:54:10 PM »
Thanks Jim! This make is quite the learning experience! I would think though, that your 1/4tsp should give you better results too. Let us know what happens.

Do you use pasturized or raw milk for your makes? I just wonder if B.C. has the same bylaws as Ontario regarding selling raw milk...
Unless i find a source on a personal level, i cannot obtain any raw milk.  :(

jwalker

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2013, 07:55:34 PM »
Yes , I use pasteurized , I think it is law all across Canada about being able to sell only pasteurized milk , at least in BC it is.

My neighbor has one goat milking right now , and another kidding soon , so will have raw milk soon to use in my cheese making.

I have heard that pasteurized milk can give more consistent results though , fewer extra living organisms to worry about.

I have been drinking some of his milk , it is delicious , and will definitely be making some cheese from it.

Cheers , Jim.