Author Topic: First emmantaler about to burst!  (Read 6532 times)

tnbquilt

Re: First emmantaler about to burst!
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2013, 11:47:26 PM »
I can wait the months needed to age properly. I doubt the gashes will affect the flavour...or am i wrong? :-[

When mine was swelling up, I was curious, so I cut it open right then. It never made it to the cave. The inside looked like a bomb went off inside of it. It was delicious. I took it to some friends of mine that night and we ate every bit of it.

I don't think that eyes have flavor, so I don't think that having a few more, whatever their condition, will affect the flavor.

green zebra

« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2013, 08:51:24 PM »
Since i removed the emmantal from its warming box and placed it back into the cave, the cheese settled down a bit and did not look as threatening!! Some poofiness remained but the "point" on top, round down to a more relaxed mound.

At this point the make is only one month old, so i am going to continue aging it in the cave and just wait and watch to see how it continues.

tnbquilt...when you broke into yours, how old was it? You said it was delicious...what was the texture like?

tnbquilt

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2013, 10:22:54 PM »
Mine was about 3 weeks old. It never made it to the cave after the warm aging process. It did not taste like swiss, but it was delicious. I had made it with pasteurized milk. Every time I use pasteurized milk for Swiss it doesn't taste like Swiss, so I switched to raw milk.

The texture was creamy but very crumbly from the explosion.

green zebra

« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »
Very curious! When i made my last swiss, i was not successful in obtaining any eyes! I only use pasturized milk because i cannot get raw milk. I did age that swiss for 6 months and it was pretty good for my first make. It smelled and tasted like swiss.

Interesting comparing experiences!

KTownCheese

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 03:59:59 PM »
Jeepers thats quite the buldge!
Bet you have some nice looking structure in there!  Post pics when cut pls!!!!

green zebra

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 05:02:05 PM »
It will be a while before i cut into this brute, but i will certainly post pictures. I hope it will taste as great as it looks, even though it looks scary!!