Author Topic: Aged Caerphilly - 1st make  (Read 2239 times)

green zebra

Aged Caerphilly - 1st make
« on: April 05, 2013, 07:45:43 PM »
I will definately make this variety again. I am so pleased with the results. I had started to age this make in my cold cellar about 3 months ago till i got my refrigertor cave ready and i placed the Caerphilly in the cave about one month after the make.

In case you are wondering why the rind looks this way, i just think it attracted whatever was roaming around in the cellar. I have seen pictures of other caerphillys and none of those rinds look as scary as mine!!

Anyway, while talking to a fellow cheese forum member, i was questioned why i was waiting as long as 3 months to eat this cheese, instead of the usual 3 weeks. Well i quess i forgot about it!

I was pleasantly surprised to enjoy this light and airy, delicious cheese! Cuts nicely, smooth texture, buttery and cheddar like....just could not stop eating it.

Next time i make use this recipe from 200 Easy Homemade Cheeses, i will use a larger mold. I could not fit the last 2 cups of curd because the mold i was using was too small. I could have enjoyed that much more cheese!
  ;) Live and learn!

WovenMeadows

Re: Aged Caerphilly - 1st make
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 01:33:45 AM »
Looks nice and interesting. Is the rind kind of moist and tacky? (Looks so in the photo). That, and that the interior looks soft and creamy-like (though crumbly too), maybe there was a bit more whey left in the the curds than the "usual" caerphilly make. Maybe more tomme-like? Regardless of name, looks like something good happened there.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 02:10:04 AM »
Very nice! Reminds me...I havent made a Caerphilly in a while  :)

I will have to remedy that soon!

green zebra

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 02:47:25 AM »
Looks nice and interesting. Is the rind kind of moist and tacky? (Looks so in the photo). That, and that the interior looks soft and creamy-like (though crumbly too), maybe there was a bit more whey left in the the curds than the "usual" caerphilly make. Maybe more tomme-like? Regardless of name, looks like something good happened there.

The rind is not sticky at all. the texture is crumbly but does cut thin slices without breaking apart. Since this is my first caerphilly, i will pay closer attention to the whey retention in my next make.

At this point i think i might prefer this aged caerphilly as opposed to a younger make.

What is your caerphilly like in texture?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 04:09:24 AM »
I'm intrigued by your desciption of it being light and airy since none of mine have been that way.  Maybe you've discovered a new cheese style!!!   ;D  It looks like it started a ripening under the rind like a medium hard cheese maybe?  How cool that it turned out so wonderfully!  I'll attach photos of several Caerphilly cheese innards for comparison....mine are usually pretty dense and more like a cheddar although not as crumbly. 

green zebra

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 01:35:37 PM »
Yes Tiarella, your caerphillys look like the ones i have seen in pictures....leave it to me to come up with a new one!! A) LOL!  A cheese to you for all of your beautiful caerphillys!

I had always wondered what cheese is in your profile...now i know! Which reminds me, i should include one of my cheeses in my profile!

I think my creation looks interesting and am so glad that the inside was edible given the rind looks very iffy. Rave reviews at home with this one. It is almost gone!! Have to hide some for me!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 11:25:52 AM »
Yes Tiarella, your caerphillys look like the ones i have seen in pictures....leave it to me to come up with a new one!! A) LOL!  A cheese to you for all of your beautiful caerphillys!

I had always wondered what cheese is in your profile...now i know! Which reminds me, i should include one of my cheeses in my profile!

I think my creation looks interesting and am so glad that the inside was edible given the rind looks very iffy. Rave reviews at home with this one. It is almost gone!! Have to hide some for me!

Thank you for the cheese!   :). I don't think your rind looks scary at all.  it's just like several of my washed curd and Tomme makes.  I think it comes from the curds holding onto too much moisture because of the seasonal variation in the milk.  I need to get better at working with that so I can choose when I want that softer cheese with the more wrinkled rind and when I want a harder cheese with a smoother rind.  I think both styles look amazing.   :D

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 06:52:23 PM »

Anyway, while talking to a fellow cheese forum member, i was questioned why i was waiting as long as 3 months to eat this cheese, instead of the usual 3 weeks. Well i quess i forgot about it!

I've never tried a caerphilly , I can't imagine a cheese having much flavor after only three weeks.

Yours looks delicious!

I think that will be my next make , they seem to be a popular cheese here on the forum.

Cheers , Jim.