Author Topic: P.P Pump sanitation  (Read 2117 times)

Tomer1

P.P Pump sanitation
« on: February 18, 2013, 11:19:56 PM »
I just got a new pump, its a magnetically coupled centrifugal pump. 
The housing is made from PP which means its limited to 85c max temp operation but very resistant to acid and bases which my old brass pump wasnt. (It was rated to 85c so I would just dump it into very hot water for 10 minutes which was not the greatest of ideas as, eventually it started to leak so it will now be retired, perhaps seals will be replaced and will be used during fermentation with a ventury valve for further airation of fermenting wine)

After running 1% w\v naoh solution, how should I sanitize it? circulate hot water?
How reliable is a strong acidic Kmetabisulfit solution? Its very cheap but no one really tell you what the pH should measure or minimal contact time, I guess its tricky as headspace saturation with so2 released from solution vary greatly. most say just wet the surface and allow to drip dry for 10 min.

It will be used for wine racking, wine filtration (thru a depth filter) and milk\whey transfer to avoid lifting.

Back 2 The Frotture

Re: P.P Pump sanitation
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
If I understand correctly your pump has no liner and you have washed it with a sodium product.  10 minute circulation and a couple more to rinse it out to be enough.  Does bleach sound like it could help?

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2013, 04:49:49 PM »
Its also use it for wine so I stay away from bleach...

I got some numbers for the so2 solution.  acidic 500 ppm solution, 20 min contact.

High Altitude

« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2013, 07:58:39 PM »
Star San?  I use it for cheese & wine making sanitation purposes.