Author Topic: An other Cabra al Vino  (Read 4585 times)

hoeklijn

Re: An other Cabra al Vino
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 06:18:19 AM »
I tried it before with a good Rioja. You will get a certain wine flavor in the cheese but to my experience the difference between the flavor (in the cheese of course!) of a good Rioja or a cheap Merlot is neglectable.
And both will color the cheese very well, so I prefer to drink the Rioja when I eat a piece of the Cabra  ^-^

meyerandray

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 05:57:08 PM »
Have you ever made a cheese aged in grape skin and seeds?  I wonder which gives more flavor, brined in the actual wine or aged in the leftovers from the winemaking process.  Seeing as lots of you make wine, have you ever tried to age a cheese in your leftover solids once you remove them from your fermenting brew?  And if so, which contributed more to the cheese, the wine or the leftovers?

hoeklijn

« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2013, 06:46:30 PM »
Well, I didn't. I think I remember some Pecorino's are aged that way, but my wine making stopped long before I started to make cheese.
I'm not sure how the process would be, because grape skin tends to become mouldy very easily...

BobE102330

« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2013, 09:16:58 PM »
Have you ever made a cheese aged in grape skin and seeds?  I wonder which gives more flavor, brined in the actual wine or aged in the leftovers from the winemaking process.  Seeing as lots of you make wine, have you ever tried to age a cheese in your leftover solids once you remove them from your fermenting brew?  And if so, which contributed more to the cheese, the wine or the leftovers?

Sounds like you are reinventing Tomme au marc  ;) http://www.cheesemaking.com/howtomaketommeaumarccheese.html

meyerandray

« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2013, 07:19:28 AM »
Yes, I was referring to a toma (tomme). I live 40 minutes from the. Alps and 40 minutes from Barolo/Alba/Asti etc so wine and toma are a norm here, I have heard of toma alle vinacce and wasthinking of trying to make one this year, but I have wine now, so maybe I'll try the wine brine, then when the season comes I'll try the tomme au marc and let you know the different effects.

hoeklijn

« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2013, 03:03:39 PM »
Maybe it's worthwhile to try also the difference between salting the curd and using a wine-brine. I made them both ways and so far I prefer the ones where I salted the curds and soaked them in the pure wine.