Author Topic: Can I use Flora Danica instead of the Chèvre packet they sell on NE cheesemaking  (Read 3421 times)

meyerandray

I want to make Crottin de Chavignol, and was going to use the recipe I found on New England Cheesemaking Co website.  They suggest using either their "Chèvre" packet, or a mesohpilic starter plus rennet.  I have Flora Danica, which seems to have more similar cultures to the chèvre blend, it just doesn't have the coagulating enzymes, so I would still need to add a few drops of rennet, but would it make more sense to use my Flora Danica plus rennet or a mesophillic plus rennet?

george

Flora Danica IS mesophilic.  You're fine.   :)

curd nerd

FLORA DANICA an excellent choice as long as you realise you will get a sour cream / "buttery " note in the end

product ,,,,,,,,,,but yes use RENNET at a rate of 2xml /4x litres

keep up the good work ....well done ..........brian

meyerandray

Brian, I have recently discovered the potency of my rennet is 130 IMCU, does that change the dosage?  I asked this in another thread too, but haven't gotten a response yet.  I have been using 4.5 ml for 8 liters so far, and find that my coagulation time is always longer than the goal coagulation of a recipe.  I know I need to increase my rennet, but for a recipe like this one (that calls for 4-8 drops of rennet for 4 liters) I don't know how much to put in.
Thanks, Celine

curd nerd

dear CELINE,,,,,,i would still "run" with 1,5 / 2xml per 4xlitres ,,,,,,rennet is very very forgiving and cheap

the only side effect i am aware of is , if you heavily O.D. it will impart quite a noticable bitterness

so be brave , and no doubt you know to apply the diluted rennet widely across the milk then stir it from bottom to top

arrivederci e buon lavora,,,,,,,,,,brian

Tomer1

I O.D with rennet on a what should have been a semi lactic GEO ripened cheese.
The curds felt really weird and I ended up with something which is more of a camambert curd with Tons and Tons of moisture. (I magine a X20 flac factor) :) 
I decided to wash it with a PLA 3% brine and it seems to be acting fine.  Getting nice and pink but I suspect its gone get very liquidish so Im gone wrap a skirt around it and put it in a 4c fridge after I get good coverage of linens.

meyerandray

So I made the crottin, I only used 5 drops of rennet for 3 liters (so far my only goat's milk source was willing to give me 3 liters...) and it coagulated beautifully.  I hung to drain, and put in the molds last night, and have to say that the curd is delicious (a good cook aìALWAYS tastes her works in progress ;) ) It will be hard to wait 21 days to eat them, but in the meantime I am on the hunt for some more goat's milk.
I'll start a thread on the crottin once they are out of their molds and have started to bloom.