Author Topic: hi all kiwis  (Read 24262 times)

vavroom

Re: hi all kiwis
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2010, 09:13:37 PM »
I found someone in Masterteton willing to sell raw ewe's milk during their spring/summer season. If you want to drive that far and are interested in that. :) DM me :)

ancksunamun

« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2010, 08:35:02 AM »
Another Kiwi here! North Canterbury, South Island to be precise.

I have made Feta, Haloumi, Brie, Camembert, Paneer, Ricotta, Gouda, Cheddar, Mozerella and Monteray Jack. I just LOVE this hobby.

Will be attempting a Romano this weekend and am looking forward to mid August when my milk supply is back in full flow! Bring on the cheese!!

My partner just bought me a wine chiller for my cheese cave so now I need to fill it! Oh ok then, if you insist  ;)

blairw75

« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2010, 10:32:39 AM »
Hi Everyone
I'm from Ashburton in the south island
I have made some cams, farmhouse cheddar Gouda and a few blue cheeses and som Parmesan. My next cheese will be a Stilton
As I live in cow country I can get my hands on milk very easily.
Great hobby this one, I find myself always thinking about what cheese is next.

Also just got a Vac sealer so I have been testing it out

sweetstar

« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2010, 07:07:55 AM »
hi all... we are in the grey valley of the west coast of the south island.... just starting out on the cheese making journey with some halloumi and feta consumed thus far. butter, yogurt and ice cream too...

takahe

« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 01:32:54 AM »
Is there really noone else here in Auckland?

I'm in central Auckland, thus no cows or goats etc.  I s'pose I've got room to keep a rabbit but I've no idea how to milk one :-)

Anyway, I've been making cheese for nearly a month now - second batch of halloumi is heating on the stove - and I think I could easily get addicted to this. 

I'm using Anchor full cream milk from the supermarket.  It says it's pasteurised, and it doesn't say it's homogenised but it doesn't say it's not either, and there's definitely a plug of cream in the top of the bottle when I open it.  Does anyone know for absolute certain whether it's homogenised? 

(I was really surprised to find full cream milk so easily.  I don't think I've bought it for thirty years!).

FRANCOIS

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2011, 10:59:33 PM »
It's homogonised.  The only non-ho,o milk you can get in the store is grey top (Farmgate brand).  I'm not sure if you have a grey top in Auckland or not.

JeffHamm

« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2011, 07:53:12 PM »
Hi,

I'm living in Auckland.  Originally from Canada (east coast), but now dual citizen.  I started making cheese last year.  So far, I've made camembert a few times, cottage cheese, motzerella, gouda (still aging), caerphilly (just tasted it, it's good!), sage wensleydale (still aging), and manchego (also, still aging).  I've generally used silver top, and it's worked well.  My last cheese was made with 9 litres of dark blue top "home brand" and 1 litre of home brand cream.  That worked really well too.  Next batch I'll probably leave out the cream to see how the budget milk goes. 

I think "cottage crafts" home page has a milk map, which lists contact details of farmers willing to sell raw milk.  They are allowed to sell up to 5 litres "over the gate", and there are some who have goats milk and some who have cow.  (Oh, I'm not connected to either cottage crafts or to anyone who sells milk in any form!)

- Jeff

FRANCOIS

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2011, 09:25:08 AM »
You can't sell raw milk without an RMP (risk management program) in NZ.  Last time I checked there were no RMPs lodged with NZFSA for raw milk.  Technically every one is illegally selling it.  NZFSA doesn't seem to worried about it though.  We purchase milk from a farmer who was advertising it.  He thought it was totally legal because that's "what he heard".  I printed out the food regs for him and I think he's stopped advertising after that.

JeffHamm

« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
Hi Francois,

That's interesting.  Cottage Craft's "milk map" seems to be based on the idea that the farmers can sell up to 5 litres to an individual for personal use.  On the milk map they have the following:

"section 11A of the Food Act 1991, allows for the farm gate sale of up to five litres, at any one time, of raw milk intended for consumption by the buyer or their family. It should however be noted that such milk would need to be harvested under an approved Risk Management Programme which is appropriate for milk for direct human consumption."

Which does mention the Risk Management Programme; I had assumed that all dairy farms would have this in order to sell their milk at all, but perhaps an RMP is not needed if the milk is sold to companies, who then process it?

- Jeff

FRANCOIS

« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2011, 08:14:34 PM »
Farms that sell to Fonterra or Open Country operate under the company RMP, it's an umbrella that extends to them.  This RMP is not appropriate for direct human consumption milk though.  The milk is required to be pasteurised, plus a farmer would really upset their co-op if something did happen from milk they were selling on the side.  I don't think most of the farms selling raw milk are in Co-ops though, ours isn't. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #40 on: February 16, 2011, 04:35:03 AM »
Thanks for that info Francois.  By the sounds of it then, it is possible in law, but perhaps most farms would not have the appropriate RMP (which is probably why the "milk map" has so few farms listed in the first place).

- Jeff

Mobii_nz

« Reply #41 on: January 20, 2012, 09:33:18 PM »
Hi guys

Well just signed up after starting yet another hobby, one more to add to the many, including beekeeping, gardening, fishing both salt and fresh water as the main ones. Currently living in the Wairarapa     :D

Offline Shadeydaze

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
  • default personal text
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2012, 04:33:39 AM »
Hi I live just outside of Rangiora which is North of Christchurch on the South Island.....the now VERY shakey bit!!

Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing and makes you walk funny

phae

« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2012, 07:08:26 AM »
And Hello from me, another Auckland cheesemaker, living on the North Shore.
I got hit with the cheese making addiction earlier this year. 
So far I'm making plenty of feta and camembert - using blue top from the supermarket in lieu of fresh milk, sometimes putting cream in too.

Happy cheesemaking!

Shazah

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2012, 10:33:24 AM »
Welcome phae

You will find a wealth of information on here along with some very experienced cheese makers who are very generous with their knowledge/tutorials/praise.

I look forward to seeing pics of your cheese making adventures.

Cheers
Sharon