Author Topic: .. or Cheddar me a Castle...  (Read 6034 times)

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: .. or Cheddar me a Castle...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2013, 05:52:59 PM »
That's exactly what I would have done.
You should have no more hinge problems now.

I guess the thing to do is make another Cheddar to try it out.  8)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

hoeklijn

« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2013, 07:01:15 PM »
One of these days  ;)

tnbquilt

« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
The 200 cheese recipe books has a 30 minute cook time and a 1 hour cheddar. This will produce a mild cheddar flavor. My recipe has a 40 minute cook while stirring time, and then I check the PH level. I usually get to drain at this point, but sometimes I have to let it sit for the PH to drop a little more before draining. Most of the time the 40 minute cook time is good. Then I cheddar for 2 hours. It produces a stronger cheddar flavor.

Did you use the press in the pot method? That's the only way I can get my cheddars to knit properly. You put the cheese mold in a pot with something to hold it up off the bottom, and pour some warm water in the bottom, about 110 to 120 degrees farenheit. Then wrap the top with a towel to keep the heat in. I usually do this for the first two flip and redress process, but when I go to the 12 hour press I dump the water out. I got it off of this forum, I believe it was Sailor who suggested it. I never knitted a cheddar until I tried that, and this works every time.

hoeklijn

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2013, 02:44:19 PM »
No, the Tomme that I'm using for this barely fits the press, so pressing under whey, no way...
I think I was saved by the pressure that I used and the size of the curds. We'll find out what the taste is much later this year... 

hoeklijn

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:09 PM »
Well, I couldn't wait longer. I had the idea that a) the cheese was becoming too dry and b) I deserved a piece of it  ;D.
So I cut it. Golden cheddar with a distinct smell of brown beer and a mild taste. Beer also recognizable in the taste.

Next time I'll cut it smaller during the milling and I'll try to keep the curd a bit less dry.
But the taste is goooood. Nice companion for a whiskey...

cowboycheese

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2013, 08:39:17 PM »
Looks yummy. I wonder what that might look/smell/taste like with one of my ciders?

A shot (err cheese) for your ingenuity and creativity!

My first cheddar didn't knit 100%. I'm looking forward to trying the Boofer-wrap method to keep it warmer during the first press.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2013, 09:05:09 PM »
Awesome, Herman! I forget...was this cream-coated?

Looks like a finely aged artisan cheese. A cheese to you for waiting it out and then being pleased with the outcome.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2013, 07:01:17 AM »
A cheese to your result!  Wow!  That's only just over 2 months old.  Looks much older.  Nicely done.

- Jeff

tnbquilt

« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2013, 01:49:53 PM »
I agree Herman, a little on the dry side. Did you wax it after you put your coating on it? I have screwed up cheddar every way possible. I had one dry one that I cream coated, but did not wax. I didn't realize that the cream coating would allow it to dry out. It was so dry I trashed it. I had one cheddar that I over cooked because I was trying to reach a specific PH level and my PH meter wasn't working right. It came out very dry and very tangy. I also trashed it. I have also under salted it, which makes it bitter, and I trashed it. And the final screw up was I didn't use enough culture and it came out bitter as well. I hope all of that is behind me, because we have eaten the last few that I have made.

I have not tasted my beer soaked one yet. I made mine on 4-6-13 and I soaked it in an amber beer that our friends with the new brewery make. They are having their one year anniversary party on September 7th so I plan on taking it to the party. I will taste it first and if it is good I will take it to the party. I forgot to salt it before I put it in the press, so the next day I took it out, cut it all up, salted it, reheated it and repressed it. I hope it comes out good. I vacuum sealed it after it air dried for a week.

I have found cheddar to be a bit challenging, and the aging period gets me. I need to make more short aging cheeses to enjoy while waiting on the cheddars so that I don't open them too early.

hoeklijn

« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2013, 09:05:25 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses folks!
Well Tammy, since is was my first and only cheddar, I'm pleased with the result although I already have some points to change in the next make.
Yes Jeff, indeed just over 2 months old, which proofs that it was drying out too fast. I'm glad I decided to go for it, also because we had a garden-party this afternoon/evening. Without knowing what it was, everybody tasted the beer in the cheese. For some people (which normally see it as an adventure to eat something else than a young Gouda) it was too tasty but most loved it. And I still have some left  ;)