Author Topic: 3rd Jarlsberg...coming along  (Read 4244 times)

High Altitude

3rd Jarlsberg...coming along
« on: September 20, 2013, 05:30:05 PM »
So, I'm quickly discovering that every make is different from the previous one, recipe be damned.

I tried to keep the rind on this 3rd Jarlsberg softer by not air drying as long initially before putting into the cave for 2 weeks.  That has worked, however it has developed this white area on both ends.  There was some mold starting so I washed with with vinegar-salt to remove, so I'm not sure whether this is geo or salt. 

The PC is working and I have a nice bulge now at 3 weeks in the warm phase.  But when I flip it, the bulge just seems to move to the other end by next morning.  Hope there is not one big hole in there that is shifting back and forth...hmmm.

cheeseslovesu

Re: 3rd Jarlsberg...coming along
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2013, 08:15:33 AM »
This is a photo of my first attempt at Jarlsberg.

I made this beauty 30/7 so it is about 8 weeks old and I vacuum sealed it to mature it in my wine fridge. I did have trouble coming to terms with an 18C temp after a cold temp ripening but threw it in my pantry and told my family not to touch it. The sealed bag expanded and I became a little concerned so put it back in my wine fridge. It still looks good in the bag and I couldn't resist trying it.

The taste is magnificent and I will be making another batch tomorrow. I used 200 Easy Homemade cheese Recipes and made 2 x 1kg cheeses.

Happy cheesing!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2013, 04:16:18 PM »
The taste is magnificent and I will be making another batch tomorrow. I used 200 Easy Homemade cheese Recipes and made 2 x 1kg cheeses.
Congratulations on your success.

That 200 Easy Cheese recipe calls for a thermophilic culture while Jarlsberg actually uses a mesophilic culture. The Jarlsberg style is a cross between Gouda and Emmental. I have attached a doc which helps to explain its origin.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

High Altitude

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
Karlin's recipe also calls for a Thermo culture. Why aren't these recipies using a meso if that is more true to a Jarlsberg, I wonder? Have you made one Boofer?

Cheeselovesu, congrats on your successful cheese!  It does look really good, with nice holes and all.  Next time, don't be worried about the swelling...that's supposed to happen for up to 6 weeks in the warm phase.  Just let it go next time...you will be rewarded with an amazing aroma each time you flip it!  You can take it out of the bag and just keep it in a micro-environment, mostly covered (so the rind doesn't dry up too much) but allow a little ventilation.

Thanks for sharing the pic  ;D.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 06:05:06 PM »
That's a nice looking Jarlsberg.  And yes, the swiss types are supposed to swell as the eyes form.  Let it go next time.  You need to worry about swelling if you haven't added PS as a culture.  Some others will produce a bit of CO2, and cause a wee bit of expansion (Flora Danica produces a bit of gas), but if it expands like a football, well, that's good if you added PS, not so good otherwise.  In your case, it was good!  Well done and a cheese to you.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 02:38:26 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

High Altitude

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2013, 04:00:35 PM »
I ended up coating my Jarlsberg at about the 4 week mark with coconut oil (thanks to Tiarella!).  I'm still trying to get a thinner rind on my 2 lb cheeses.  Next time, I'll coat it much earlier, like as soon as it starts the warm phase because I'm still getting that thicker rind.  I am happy to get the swelling, but it keeps me from waxing it which I know would help with maintaining a thinner rind. 

Anyway, here is the opened Jarlsberg (a week early because I was sending half to my folks in a care package).  I bagged the rest and will enjoy at Thanksgiving with visiting family :-). Haven't tasted this yet, but it smells nice like the others that turned out well, so I'm guessing it's similar.

cheeseslovesu

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2013, 09:09:59 PM »
mmmm Jarlsberg. This is my new favourite cheese. Yours looks great and a coconut oil rub sounds delicious as well.
I made another two on Monday, I might make this every month as it was very popular with friends and family. I will still use the thermo culture as it worked for mine. Maybe one month I will try a meso to compare.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »
Sweet-looking cheese! A cheese to you for your most excellent Jarlsberg!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

george

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2013, 10:31:08 AM »
High Altitude, why don't you try bagging them as soon as they're air-dried, but don't actually remove ALL the air?  Works pretty well for me through the warm period, etc. - at most I may need to re-bag a time or two from moisture (mostly during warm phase).  But then ta-daaaa!!  Nice thin rind.

(And when I started to type this, I type "High Attitude" - kinda catchy, though, no?)

High Altitude

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2013, 02:38:33 PM »
Thanks guys (and gals), and Boof for the cheese :-)!  I may just try the bagging thing next time and compare, george....good idea.  Think I will try a meso recipe also, CLU, and see what the difference is.  Have a great day, all!