Author Topic: pc infestation in my cave!  (Read 1648 times)

meyerandray

pc infestation in my cave!
« on: April 27, 2013, 09:42:05 PM »
I currently have a goat's milk crottin in my cave, I wanted to age it 21 days, which means another week, but despite the fact that I put geo in the milk, it is covered in pc. I tasted its twin at 7 days, and it was delicious, so I made 10 more liters, and the new crottin just went in the cave today. This evening I checked on them, and they too are showing early blooms of pc. I had camembert in the cave a couple of weeks ago, but they were always in their own tupperware. Any suggestions of what I can do? I would really like my geo to get a hold of these crottin, is it too late for them? If I sanitize the whole cave with bleach/water solution, and put these cheeses back in there I would just re-incesto my newly sanitized cave, right?
Please advise both for the cave in general, but also to save these crottin! Thanks, Celine

Sailor Con Queso

Re: pc infestation in my cave!
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2013, 09:47:11 PM »
Need more details about your cave.

meyerandray

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:20:45 AM »
It is a mini wine fridge. Right now it has one blue that is in its own tupperware, one Monterey Jack that is on a plastic sheet on the metal fridge shelf, as well as the one crottin de chevre that is already covered with pc, the 8 new crottin are also just on a shelf (no tupperware) and they are the ones that seem to already be blooming pc, finally I have three waxed (in beeswax) wheels, and have noticed a white powder that deposits on the wax. The cave is held at 11 degrees celcius, the humidity is around 85, but unfortunately drops lower sometimes. I have some wet paper towels and a couple of small bowls of water in there to try and keep the humidity up.
The pc contamination must come from a camembert that I made, but those forms are finishing up the aging process in the regular fridge, and while they were in the cave they were always in their own container.
Let me know what you think, and thank you!  Celine

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:46:36 PM »
Mold spores easily spread. I would empty the frig, wipe down with bleach, air for an hour, wipe down the outsides of your ripening containers with diluted bleach, and restock the frig. And be aware that the molds will come back, so be as sanitary as you can with your containers.

meyerandray

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
Thanks for the help!  I wouldn't have remembered the outside of my containers.  I wiped just wiped all down, and will put the crottin in their own container, and hope that the geo will have a chance to grow!