Author Topic: alternative to "cheese" paper for wrapping my camembert?-and a couple other ?s  (Read 7375 times)

meyerandray

I have 4 camembert that are 9 days old.  They have a nice covering of p.candidum and geo (well I used both of those in my recipe, but don't know how to distinguish them visuallly-it is primarily a white, fluffy covering, with a little of that yellowish, harder one, looks like a cam!) and I am pretty sure it is time to wrap them and put them in the fridge.  Just a couple of questions:

1.  Should I keep them in their container while in the regular fridge?  Should the humidity still be 90-95% in their container?
2.  Most important question, what can I wrap them in that IS NOT cheese paper?  I am in Italy, and don't know where to buy it, and need to wrap ASAP (I think), could I ask for the paper they wrap cheese/salumi in when you buy it cut at the market/shop?  Otherwise, could I use some kind of cloth (like the one the "Rustique" camembert is usually wrapped in?
3.  As far as the "patting down" of the molds, do I continue to do this, or will the colder temp alone keep them in check?
4.  Do I continue to turn them everyday even after wrapping, and if so, do I unwrap, turn and re-wrap?

I am slightly paranoid due to all the slip skin and liquidation problems I have seen in other posts, and am hoping to learn from all of your mistakes, and have a great outcome, so please share your knowledge and insight!!
Thanks, Celine

JeffHamm

I would wrap those now, and move to a regular fridge to age for another 2 to 4 weeks.  That's what I did on my last brie make and it turned out exceptionally well.  Note, I also put the wrapped cheese in a box.  Since you have two to experiment with, try one in the regular fridge and one in your cheese fridge.  The former will ripen more slowly, so that way you can enjoy the first while the other is catching up as well as compare methods to determine which works best for you.

Nice looking cheeses there.

- Jeff

meyerandray

I want to wrap them now, but don't know what to wrap them in?  I haven't found this "cheese paper" that you all talk to, I was thinking of asking for some of that butcher paper-like stuff they use to wrap cheese at the market/store when they sell it to you, do you think that would work?

JeffHamm

Hi,

I've just used tin foil (actually, it's probably aluminum foil) and have never had any issues with that. 

- Jeff

meyerandray

Oh Jeff, you are great!! I am so happy you gave me a solution that I have in the house ;)
By the way, I have 4 camembert, I only posted pics of 2 because they all look pretty much the same.  I think I will take your advice and leave one in the cave (wrapped in foil though, right?) and the other 3 in the regular fridge.  Thanks again for always being so helpful!
Celine

Tomer1

Parchment paper works alright.  Cellophane works espacially well.

JeffHamm

Yes, wrap all of them, even the one in the cheese fridge.  Flip daily, maybe even twice daily.  Good luck, and post your results! Look forward to seeing how things turn out.

- Jeff

meyerandray

Ok, I wrapped the little guys in foil, put them back in their container and put them in the fridge. I will definitely post results! Thanks again guys :)Celine