Author Topic: Cabre al Vino Cheese Recipe  (Read 15130 times)

Tea

Re: Cabre al Vino Cheese Recipe
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2008, 08:43:46 PM »
I was wondering about that myself, and was actually thinking that I would be surprised if the colour premeated any further than just the surface.

Will post photo's of mine when I finally cut it.

Tea

« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2008, 07:48:59 AM »
Have been storing this in the fridge that the weather heated up the last few days, but it is turning cold again, so I have dragged out the esky and I am going to attempt a temp cave, as I also want to age the gouda and the Monetrey Jack.  Hopefully this hasn't compromised the cheese.  Will keep you updated on how things go.

reg

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2008, 12:44:49 PM »
i don't think that putting it into the fridge will compromise the cheese at all, it may just slow down the process a bit. after returning to your cave the action should start back up

good luck

reg

Tea

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2008, 07:38:56 AM »
Thanks Reg, after all the work that's gone in to it to get it this far, I would hate to loose it.

Tea

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 09:32:12 PM »
Interesting development.  What I haven't mentioned is that when I brined I put white spore in as well, but I really didn't think that after 36 hours in port that they would work.
Well I have had it in the esky now for 5 days, and have been turning every two day.  Went to check them this morning and look what I found.  Only on the bottom, which is interesting, so it will be interesting to see if any more forms.  Lets hope that it's the good stuff and not the bad stuff.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2008, 06:07:04 PM »
As I was away the last three days, my cheese cave went up in humidity like John's and my Cabre al Vino grew some mold.  I'm going to let it air out for a while and wash it again with a brine solution.

Cheese Head

« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2008, 06:29:12 PM »
Tea, AFAIK, the mold needs just the right high moisture content to flourish, but if too high then no work as it doesn't like to have it's feet in water. For you it seems to have found this on the bottom of your cheese . . . so far :D.

Camembert (mold) and wine (rind), sounds like it's a good pairing to me ;D.

Tea

« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2008, 10:14:22 PM »
It's going to be interesting, that's for sure.

Dagger, sorry to hear about your cave.  Lets us know how thing work out.  I think learning how to resurrect a moldy cheese would be helpfull.  I probably would have thrown then out and started again.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2008, 07:58:22 PM »
Well, I've been kind of into trying to make natural rind cheeses, not that I really know what I am doing, but my one wrapped cheddar is looking great and developing a nice mold.  The other is quite moldy as it was a stirred curd and moister to begin with, but I'm letting it go to see what happens.

I washed my Cabre al Vino with a brine solution and removed the blue mold on it and it is now again sitting in Merlot in the fridge.  I hope it comes out; it was a failed cheese to begin with and I have tried diligently to resurrect it.  If not, I have wasted a fair amount of wine on it that may have gone to better use.

Tea

« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 10:27:14 PM »
Well my caerphilly has now deveopled white mold also in the top, although at this stage it is very sparse.

What has been interesting though is I made another monterey jack, and pressed one in the camembert mold without cheese cloth, and one in another round mold with a cheese cloth, to see what the different in moisture retention would be, and then I bathed them for almost 48 hours in port.  I am going to let them dry for a few hours, give is a brine wash, then dry and wax.
But interestingly enough, the cheeses acceptance of the wine has been vastly different.
The cheese on the left is the one pressed in the camembert mold, and it looks to have really soaked up the wine.  The one of the right was pressed with the cloth, and it doesn't seem to have accepted the wine quite as much.
Can't wait to see what the long term difference is going to be.

Cheese Head

« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2008, 11:13:26 PM »
So I assume the cheesecloth lines one is the lighter - less dense - more liquid and this less pickup of the port, vs the non-cheesecloth lined hoop pressed cheese that should be removed more whey and thus is more dense & dryer and thus wants to absorb more port, or do I have it backwards?

reg

« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2008, 11:30:08 AM »
very interesting for sure. i would love to see the interiors of those two cheeses. i know i know we have to wait,  dam !

reg :-)

Tea

« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2008, 09:56:12 PM »
To be honest Cheese Head, I'm not sure.  To look at them you would think that the moister cheese has soaked up more because of the colour, but in reality you would think that it would be the drier one that would soak up more.
Yep Reg, my sentiments exactly.

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2008, 11:22:05 PM »
I think I have revived mine.  After washing it with a brine solution and soaking it for 24 hours again in wine, it looks good as new...no mold at all.

Tea

« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2008, 04:34:51 AM »
Just how do you take off the mold that you don't want?  Scrap it, cut it, dig it out?   I tried to once and it just grew back.
Or is it being put back through the brine process that eventually kills off the offending mold?
Just wondering.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2008, 04:42:33 AM by Tea »