Author Topic: Hello from MD  (Read 1265 times)

seemunkee

Hello from MD
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:04:06 AM »
Thought I should introduce myself, before I start flooding the board with questions and problems.
I've been a home brewer for over 10 years and have been making cheese for about 1 1/2 years. I'm starting to take cheese making a bit more seriously, with an eye to maybe making it my retirement career, several years down the road.

I've mostly made soft cheeses - mozzarella, ricotta, chèvre, etc.  The few hard cheeses I have done usually end up with some off putting molds and don't develop a good rind.  I've been using a cooler with frozen milk jugs as my cave, which could be a source of my problems.  No control over temp or humidity.  I just got a 9 bottle wine cooler off Craig's list that is holding a small blue and a large Stilton.  More on those in the appropriate forums.

I've been reading the forum for a bit now, and it is like drinking from a firehose.  Thanks to all those experienced folks for being willing to share their knowledge.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: Hello from MD
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 02:12:55 PM »
You on the eastern shore?  I grew up in Baltimore and spent 3 years as a Western District cop back in the 70s.  Living in the great northwest now.  Welcome!!
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

seemunkee

Re: Hello from MD
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2013, 09:44:15 PM »
No, I'm in the outer DC burbs, almost as close to downtown B'more as downtown Washington.