Author Topic: can i make a blue without a phmeter, and almost no experience?  (Read 1786 times)

meyerandray

I have made 3 cheeses so far (aside from fresh cheeses) but would really love to make a blue. My husband loves Roquefort, but I can't get sheep's milk for another month or so, we often buy a blue tomme from the alps that I absolutely love. Am I setting myself up for disappointment and failure if I try a blue this early on? Can I do it without a phone meter?

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Re: can i make a blue without a phmeter, and almost no experience?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
I did.  Here's the make.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2013, 04:37:46 AM »
You certainly can. I would recommend purchasing PR culture for your first make as it is a known quantity.
I found that making a Stilton was very rewarding experience, watching the cheese change as it aged was very intriguing.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2013, 01:55:58 PM »
You certainly can. I would recommend purchasing PR culture for your first make as it is a known quantity.
I found that making a Stilton was very rewarding experience, watching the cheese change as it aged was very intriguing.

Yup that was my first cheese (well first successful one anyway)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 02:15:47 PM »
  can i make a blue without a phmeter, and almost no experience?       

I hope so , I just made a two pound gorgonzola yesterday , salting it this morning.

It was a recipe from Ricki Carrolls website.

Good luck with yours!

Cheers!

meyerandray

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 02:25:16 PM »
ooh, thanks for your encouraging responses, this week I will tackle my first blue, I just read your stilton thread Al and any hesitations have gone to the wind.  I am excited.  I only have a pot that holds 9 liters though, I may try 16 liters ( I have another one that holds 8 liters).  I will read up this week on blues, and give it a shot at the end of the week.  Thanks for all of the resources, and I am also going to look into a cave set up similar to yours.
Schnecken, I did buy the PR culture last week, I was just looking for a ph meter before making my first, but I may hold off a bit longer on that buy.  I also need to invest in a cave, and didn't want to shell out for both the fridge and the ph meter at once, but couldn't decide which one to get first (which one is more urgent).  As of now I am keeping my cheeses in my cellar, I think it maintains about 14 degrees C, but I'm not sure, so I have been limited in the cheeses I could try.

shotski

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 02:30:56 PM »
Keep us posted and all the best.

KTownCheese

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2013, 01:10:32 PM »
As for the cave, All I use is a small plastic tote in my basement (which is naturally 14 to 15 degress).  I throw in a jar of water or a wet cloth and I picked up a small temp/humidity monitor (approx 10$ Canadian) from a local store.  This set up seems to hold a good 85 to 95% humidity which seems to be perfect for washed rind ripened cheeses.

Good luck on the Blue, i am sure it will turn out just fine!
Cheers
Al

Tomer1

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2013, 04:31:18 PM »
Most blues are very forgiving and often the curds is acidified to a great extent, so its pretty stright forward to relay on a time based recipe.