Author Topic: My First Stilton  (Read 3522 times)

KTownCheese

My First Stilton
« on: April 16, 2013, 12:57:21 PM »
Two days ago I purchased another plastic tote to store cheese in.  I did so because I have been meanign to try to make some type of blue cheese since I started making cheese however my current tote is full with washed rind Port Salut and Limburger.  Not the best of environments to make a blue. 
So I bought a tote, jacked the humidity and decided to make a stilton.  Started with 2% milk and 35% cream and used the recipe from artisan cheese makign at home.  Innoculated the milk with C101 mesophillic and a pinch of penicillium roqueforti.  So far I am a coupel days in, the cheese tastes amazing  ;D and it hasnt even really started to grow mold yet.  Only problem.. the cheese was super crumbly and did not not stick together so well.  I have two big cracks in the cheese and I fully expect I will have to cut it into wedges.

Anyone have any guesses as to why this happened?

KTownCheese

Re: My First Stilton
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:06:17 PM »
Im thinking I didnt quite cut the curds into small enough pieces but the recipe says to leave in slabs and cut later.  I almost think it woudl be better to do the cutting right away.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 02:01:17 PM »
I never cut the curd on my Stiltons, just ladle large chunks into my cheesecloth lined colander, drain, lightly press for 6 to 8 hours,
break up the curd mass into thumb sized chunk's, salt, place in mold and start flippin out ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

KTownCheese

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 05:01:00 PM »
Thanks for yourt take!  Im hoping as it softens I can save it but we will see.  Next time i will try smaller curds.

KTownCheese

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2013, 11:34:17 AM »
My stilton is coming along quite nicely.  After only two days in the cave a small amount of blue mold is starting to grown in the cracks. 

george

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2013, 12:22:02 PM »
To go back to the original post (sorry I didn't catch this before) -

Stiltons are usually much taller - you generally want more height than width (sort of).  Since it's pressed under its own weight, my thought is that the reason it has so many large cracks is because it was too short - not enough weight goin' on to get it to knit better. 

Personally, though, I don't think it's a problem.  You'll probably want to be very careful with the humidity, make sure the short flat form isn't allowing it to dry out too much - but hey, cracks in a blue cheese?  More room for blue!

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it.   A)

KTownCheese

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 12:41:46 PM »
Thanks George.  Your assessment is most likely correct.  After much thought that was the conclusion I was drawing as well.
Thanks for everyone's input.
Also, i checked my cave this mroning and low and behole the blue is starting to take off!

Tomer1

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2013, 05:12:08 PM »
Look at it this way, at 2-3 weeks it will likely be ready to eat.

KTownCheese

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
My stilton smells distinctly like mushrooms and there is some white mold growing on the surface (geo?)
is this normal?

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2013, 01:19:20 AM »
Have pix's?
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

KTownCheese

« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »
Here are a few pics of the cheese right now

bbracken677

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2013, 10:38:31 PM »
Looking good!  What is that other cheese in the last pic?

It looks like you have some PC growing on it in addition to the blue...not really a problem, I think. I typically get all kinds of growths on my blues after the outside blue begins to die down some.

KTownCheese

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »
The other cheese is a coastal blue.  Thanks for the input.  I was worried my stilton was contaminated.  also, another update, it seems the stilton has already started to soften on the outside.  Parts of the rind are kinda soft.  From what I read this is normal though.

Anywho, ill keep you all posted with more pics as it progresses.
Thanks!

KTownCheese

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2013, 05:57:47 PM »
I am definitely experiencing some softening of the outter part of the cheese immediately beneath the rind.  I am guessing this has something to do with the PC that is growing?
Its pretty soft right now.  I hope it doesnt fall apart!
More pics to follow tonight!

KTownCheese

« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2013, 11:12:06 PM »
Pics of the stilton this evening.