Author Topic: Cleaning Your Cave  (Read 2191 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Cleaning Your Cave
« on: April 17, 2013, 04:45:34 PM »
For those of you with small fridge or wine cooler caves how often do you clean them and with what? I emptied mine last weekend and thoroughly dried off the coils in the shelves and cleaned every surface with a spray of warm water mixed with a little chlorine bleach.  Figured that would keep down any molds that might try to take up residence. :o
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Tomer1

Re: Cleaning Your Cave
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:21:27 PM »
Elbow grees is a good cleaning method so you remove any biofilm and preper the surface for a sanitizer (such as bleach or one of the no rise solutions).

I often satinize after making blue cheese as these seem to contaminate other cheeses despite being in their own "micro caves".

shotski

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 01:49:52 AM »
good question Al. I make wine as well and was wondering if a potassium met bisulphite solution ( a contact sterilizer ) would work.

john

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 03:39:16 AM »
I couldn't begin to advise you on that but I'm sure there are some here that can.  ;)  I do know that chlorine bleach kills all funguses, etc.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

John@PC

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
What kind of cave to you have Al?  Frost-free, exposed coil or wine cooler?  I upgraded from a exposed coil (i.e. dorm fridge) to a used frost free but immediately started having problems.  I had to pull out the freezer panels and found a lot of grunge.  Cleaned with a pine-oil cleaner / water solution followed by a water / bleach spray and it seemed to do the trick.