Author Topic: Cleaning Your Cave  (Read 517 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 38
Cleaning Your Cave
« on: April 17, 2013, 11:45:34 AM »
For those of you with small fridge or wine cooler caves how often do you clean them and with what? I emptied mine last weekend and thoroughly dried off the coils in the shelves and cleaned every surface with a spray of warm water mixed with a little chlorine bleach.  Figured that would keep down any molds that might try to take up residence. :o

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
Re: Cleaning Your Cave
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 01:21:27 PM »
Elbow grees is a good cleaning method so you remove any biofilm and preper the surface for a sanitizer (such as bleach or one of the no rise solutions).

I often satinize after making blue cheese as these seem to contaminate other cheeses despite being in their own "micro caves".
Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Offline shotski

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2013, 08:49:52 PM »
good question Al. I make wine as well and was wondering if a potassium met bisulphite solution ( a contact sterilizer ) would work.

john

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 38
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 10:39:16 PM »
I couldn't begin to advise you on that but I'm sure there are some here that can.  ;)  I do know that chlorine bleach kills all funguses, etc.

Offline John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2013, 05:07:05 PM »
What kind of cave to you have Al?  Frost-free, exposed coil or wine cooler?  I upgraded from a exposed coil (i.e. dorm fridge) to a used frost free but immediately started having problems.  I had to pull out the freezer panels and found a lot of grunge.  Cleaned with a pine-oil cleaner / water solution followed by a water / bleach spray and it seemed to do the trick.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.