Author Topic: Hello from Sydney, Australia!  (Read 1737 times)

CurdIsTheWord

Hello from Sydney, Australia!
« on: February 23, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
Hi everyone

I started cheesemaking a few months ago as an interesting hobby. Out of curiosity I started to research cheesemaking online and decided to give it a go... I'd never met anyone who'd made their own cheese before! I found a beautiful lady on Youtube called Manjula who makes her own paneer and was inspired. After having success with paneer I've since made a couple batches of feta, halloumi, gouda and a disaster batch of mozzarella (I think my beginner's luck ran out!)

I'm hoping you guys can help me with some advise on sterilizing? Currently I boil everything in my cheesemaking pot with the lid on for 10 minutes... I've been worried that this isn't enough? Also, is it OK to use baby sterilizing solutions providing you rinse them thoroughly? How do you sterilize equipment for your chessemaking?

Thanks all!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2009, 10:52:21 AM by CurdIsTheWord »

Cheese Head

Re: Hello from Sydney, Australia!
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2009, 02:38:17 PM »
Howdy CurdIsTheWord and welcome to this forum!

There are several other Ozzie's on this forum including others from NSW. Very sorry to hear about the wildfires, there is a thread about in the Geographic > Australia Boards in case you want to post any local type info.

Congrats on the different cheeses, I've only tried Moz once and it also didn't work, I haven't tried again as I'm not a big fan but there are several that do, if you want you could post method and ingredients and results in the Pasta Filata (Pulled Curds) Board where you'll find several other moz lovers.

On sterilizing, I'm also not very good as I just dishwasher everything, but again others here are more strict. If you use the search button you should be able to find some good info plus in the Library there is a PDF from a US Supplies Webstore on cleaning. FYI the Search function is location sensitive, so search from the forum homepage to get the widest results.

Again welcome . . . John.

Tea

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2009, 09:10:15 PM »
Hi CurdIsTheWord and welcome to the forum.  Great to see you trying some different cheeses.  BTW I am one of the Aussie on here, but I live in the northern tropics.

I use Milton baby steriliser.  I just fill up a sink with water, put in the Milton, then dump in everything that I will be using to make cheese, ie: moulds, knives, cups, cheesecloths, etc and leave there until I need them.

Hope you will share your experiences.

rockie900

« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2009, 09:27:40 PM »
There is lots of information here for you, good to see another aussie, seems to be a few of us now, we might be able to stage a take over.  ;)
I use a microwave baby bottle sterilizer, no solution though, but if its good enough for babys its good enough for cheese. (My opinion).

Al

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 01:24:49 AM »
Welcome.

Likesspace

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 02:33:35 AM »
Hey, welcome to the forum!
As for sterilizing, I used the boiling method for 2 years and never had a problem.
After that I switched to boiling/bleaching (due to concern that boiling was not enough) and just recently I switched to using a product called StarSan.
I have to say that Star San is the easiest method I've used and probably the best, according to the various reviews I've read.
Not sure if it's available in Oz, but it would be worth looking for.
Glad to have you with us. My  knowledge has gone up considerably since joining this group.

Dave