Author Topic: Pastrami and smoked chicken  (Read 3753 times)

MrsKK

Pastrami and smoked chicken
« on: April 19, 2013, 09:18:13 PM »

Here's a picture of the pastrami and the chicken I smoked this week.  The pastrami ended up being too salty, so I cut off the rind before shaving it with the meat slicer.  To warm it for our sandwiches, I cover it with a damp paper towel and nuke it for about a minute.  Just right!

We've been eating it with slices from a 17 month old Tomme cheese, very sharp and flavorful cheese.  The pastrami won't last long at this rate!

I vacuum sealed and froze the chicken - only so much smoked meat I can eat at a time.  For a first attempt with a smoker, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Pastrami and smoked chicken
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 08:59:04 AM »
They certainly look yummy.
There is nothing like eating a chicken straight from the smoker!
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 02:38:59 PM »
I vacuum sealed and froze the chicken, as I made salmon for that night's dinner.  It will be very good for a future meal, though.

shotski

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2013, 11:36:31 AM »
Anything. Smoked is good with me. My favorite is smoked salmon. Start with a brown sugar and  Cajun dry rub over night. Then marinate in maple syrup for 3-4 hours before smoking. It is yummy

jwalker

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
That looks great , I've yet to try smoking some chicken.

What kind of smoker do you use , is it smoked and cooked together in a hot smoker.

Is that home made Pastrami as well , I made some myself this past fall , but never thought to smoke it.

Cheers , Jim.

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 06:20:30 PM »
Which end do you light?   >:D

MrsKK

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 10:42:18 AM »
That looks great , I've yet to try smoking some chicken.

What kind of smoker do you use , is it smoked and cooked together in a hot smoker.

Is that home made Pastrami as well , I made some myself this past fall , but never thought to smoke it.

Cheers , Jim.

Sorry I've been away so didn't see this to answer your questions.

I have a grill/smoker combo with the smoker box on the side.  I smoked the meats at about 150 degrees for several hours - maybe 8?  It is homemade pastrami, from beef we raised here on our little farm. 

My understanding is that Pastrami is smoked corned beef, more or less.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 04:05:46 PM »
I did my first pastrami (whole brisket) last week and it turned out pretty darn good.  Smoked lightly at 200 degrees for 9 hours to an internal temp of 190.  I only brined it for a week and couldn't get any juniper berries.  Have them on order now and the next one will brine for the full three weeks. ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

MrsKK

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2013, 02:25:04 PM »
I didn't have any juniper berries for mine, either, but don't remember the recipe having them in it.  I need to get back to working with the smoker now the weather has cooled off again.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2013, 07:27:49 PM »
Be careful on the chicken as you will find that smoking the skin will make it leather tough.  I do beer can chickens on my gas grill now because the smoker made the skin inedible.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos