Pastrami and smoked chicken

Started by MrsKK, April 19, 2013, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrsKK

Here's a picture of the pastrami and the chicken I smoked this week.  The pastrami ended up being too salty, so I cut off the rind before shaving it with the meat slicer.  To warm it for our sandwiches, I cover it with a damp paper towel and nuke it for about a minute.  Just right!

We've been eating it with slices from a 17 month old Tomme cheese, very sharp and flavorful cheese.  The pastrami won't last long at this rate!

I vacuum sealed and froze the chicken - only so much smoked meat I can eat at a time.  For a first attempt with a smoker, I'm pretty pleased with the results.

Schnecken Slayer

They certainly look yummy.
There is nothing like eating a chicken straight from the smoker!
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

MrsKK

I vacuum sealed and froze the chicken, as I made salmon for that night's dinner.  It will be very good for a future meal, though.

shotski

Anything. Smoked is good with me. My favorite is smoked salmon. Start with a brown sugar and  Cajun dry rub over night. Then marinate in maple syrup for 3-4 hours before smoking. It is yummy

jwalker

That looks great , I've yet to try smoking some chicken.

What kind of smoker do you use , is it smoked and cooked together in a hot smoker.

Is that home made Pastrami as well , I made some myself this past fall , but never thought to smoke it.

Cheers , Jim.

bbracken677

Which end do you light?   >:D

MrsKK

Quote from: jwalker on June 02, 2013, 01:00:22 PM
That looks great , I've yet to try smoking some chicken.

What kind of smoker do you use , is it smoked and cooked together in a hot smoker.

Is that home made Pastrami as well , I made some myself this past fall , but never thought to smoke it.

Cheers , Jim.

Sorry I've been away so didn't see this to answer your questions.

I have a grill/smoker combo with the smoker box on the side.  I smoked the meats at about 150 degrees for several hours - maybe 8?  It is homemade pastrami, from beef we raised here on our little farm. 

My understanding is that Pastrami is smoked corned beef, more or less.

Al Lewis

I did my first pastrami (whole brisket) last week and it turned out pretty darn good.  Smoked lightly at 200 degrees for 9 hours to an internal temp of 190.  I only brined it for a week and couldn't get any juniper berries.  Have them on order now and the next one will brine for the full three weeks. ;)
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

MrsKK

I didn't have any juniper berries for mine, either, but don't remember the recipe having them in it.  I need to get back to working with the smoker now the weather has cooled off again.

Al Lewis

Be careful on the chicken as you will find that smoking the skin will make it leather tough.  I do beer can chickens on my gas grill now because the smoker made the skin inedible.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos