Author Topic: Another drying question - does the bottom need to be dry?  (Read 1301 times)

Offline kdttocs

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 4
Another drying question - does the bottom need to be dry?
« on: April 05, 2013, 04:46:00 PM »
Trying to get some clarification on what "dry to the touch" means. Does it mean the whole cheese including the bottom or just sides and top?

So far I've dried all my cheeses on my kitchen counter. Here in San Diego I live a couple miles from ocean so my normal humidity is 50-60% and ambient temps are mid-high 60s most of the year. This doesn't seem too far from what I've seen recommended for the initial drying before aging.

Right now I have a caerphilly going on 70 hours of drying after flipping a few times the first 12 hours and then 1/day. Each time I flip, the cheese feels dry but the bottom always has visible moisture from settling. It seemed like it felt dry after only 24 hours, except the bottom.

I'm pretty sure my caerphilly has too much moisture which may be part of my problem. If that's the case, should I slow down the rind from drying to give it more drying time and allow more whey to weep out? Do I want to *dry* until the bottom is dry to the touch?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 05:28:27 PM by kdttocs »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Another drying question - does the bottom need to be dry?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 03:36:44 PM »
I don't know if much more whey can weep out.  I think it's up to you to do any weeping.    :-\. But, as I said on your other thread, I think it will be okay....just different.  I guess in your position I'd see if it'll dry out a bit more and even resort to blotting it with clean cloth a bit if you are worried about how long it is sitting out.  I think it's fine for longer at the temps you're describing but that's just me......