Author Topic: Cream coating  (Read 1865 times)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Cream coating
« on: May 29, 2013, 02:03:22 PM »
I happened to be shopping to reorder my cream coating when I came across this text: "Since the white coating dries to a crystal clear totally transparent film, it is ideal for covering 'coated' cheeses to keep the outer material firmly bonded to the surface. This means that you can now produce those special cheeses you have seen that are coated with sage or vine leaves or peppercorns or nettles or..."

Hmmm, wonder who came to mind. Yes, Tiarella, our own artiste.  :D

Here's the site.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Cream coating
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 02:28:06 PM »
Thanks SO much for thinking of me, Boofer!  I think I'll stick to edible coatings but your words have sparked the idea of using coconut oil over those loose herby coated rinds which I hadn't considered.  I'll have to try that once I get my cheese wits about me again.  Yesterday I made a renegade blue.  No idea what I'm doing or what to do next but I ain't scared.....much.  I started with a tomme make with PR added thinking I'd make a craggy, natural-rinded hard cheese but the curds knit too well.  Hope I don't need a new drill bit (extra long of course) to do my piercings.  Perhaps the LBC80 will add some gas production to create holes for blue.  next time I'm going to do it differently.  And please tell me how careful you are to avoid blue cross-contamination.   :o

Thanks for the cream coating idea!!!!!!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 11:31:22 PM »
You're so brave...going where no one has gone before. ;)

I may try the coconut oil in a future make. Makes sense.

The few blues I did kept them ensconced in their own minicaves. Haven't really had a cross-contamination problem ever. I do use blue nitrile gloves to reduce the possibility of contamination when handling the cheeses. I think that helps.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 11:40:57 PM »
You're so brave...going where no one has gone before. ;)

I may try the coconut oil in a future make. Makes sense.

The few blues I did kept them ensconced in their own minicaves. Haven't really had a cross-contamination problem ever. I do use blue nitrile gloves to reduce the possibility of contamination when handling the cheeses. I think that helps.

-Boofer-

Do you think the blue cheeses' need to conquer the world is mollified by your use of the blue gloves?  Perhaps they think they are already successful and don't try so hard???   :-\  ::)  I'm going to start a Renegade blue thread in the blue section in a plea for suggestions.  Hope you visit it to offer an ideas you have. 

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2013, 11:51:23 AM »
Would be a great idea IMHO. I know from experience that indeed it's a crystal clear coating, that's why it's also wonderful on Cabra al Vino.
Might try something with grape leaves this summer.....