Dairy Layout - Milk Processing, Cheese Making, & Aging

Started by Tammy, February 23, 2009, 01:57:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tammy

I think I have about got my husband talked into taking a large unfinished area on the ground level of our home and coverting it into a processing/aging room for my milk and cheese.

I have four Jersey cows and one heifer that will freshen (calve) this year.  That means I have a lot of milk to play with (and I love it!).  We have an octagon home that is built into the side of a hill.  The front and back on the ground level are open but the sides are underground.  This unfinished area is quite large and I plan to take the front portion of the room that has a window and put a door where the window currently exists.  This will give me a seperate outside entrance to this room and I can milk my cows and then take the milk in through the ground level into the processing room instead of carrying it up the steps to the kitchen like I currently have to do.  The back portion of this area I would like to section off and make a pantry/cheese cave for my canned goods and aging cheese.  This part of the house is "underground" and has no windows.  I am thinking that I can put shelves in there and regulate the heat and humidity and have a perfect "cheese cave". 

I would love to have your ideas for both the kitchen/processing area as well as for the "cave" area.

Thanks!

Tammy

MrsKK

Tammy,
I don't have any input or ideas, but I think it is awesome that you will have a cheesemaking area set up in your own home.  I know it has been a challenge for you to get all the milk upstairs if your hubby isn't home, so I'm really excited for you.  Keep us posted on updates!
Karen

wharris

Tammy, I will say that I am quite envious of your potential setup and your access to milk.

I would start by saying that you do not need a whole lot of room to make cheese.  My room is about 10X12.  Storing cheese will depend entirely on how much cheese you want to store.

I guess my first thoughts on your space is ensuring that you have adequate water supply, electricity and drainage. Ideally a drain in the middle of the floor would be fantastic.
I would tile as much as possible and create an environment that is easily sanitized.

You will want to have a clean workspace for curd processing, a tub for washing equipment, and a method and space for cheese pressing.

The bottom line is there are a thousand ways to lay out a space, and there are a thousand variables.  The common threads amongst all those layouts will be sanitation.

Cartierusm

Any pics of the area? Then I can see what work flow I can come up with.

Cheese Head

Tammy, it's probably a good idea to have a read through some of these articles plus this book is supposed to be excellent for commercial artisan cheese makers.

Tea

Would love to see some pics when you finally get it done.