Author Topic: Jarsberg--throw it out?  (Read 5480 times)

rosawoodsii

Jarsberg--throw it out?
« on: October 24, 2012, 02:10:53 AM »
I made my first Jarlsberg yesterday, and after sitting in a cool room last night, brined it for 10 hours (5 lb cheese).  However, it's already started noticeably swelling, so I'm not sure whether that's from the Propionic or from contamination.  The recipe is from Cheesemaking.com, and neither the photos nor the instructions indicate that it should be developing holes yet, so I'm thinking that somehow it was contaminated.

Next step is to dry it and then put it in a cool, humid place for up to 2 weeks, and then move it to a warm place for Propionic development.

Should I just toss it and try again another time, or is this just normal for a Jarlsberg?

rosawoodsii

Re: Jarsberg--throw it out?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:38:37 PM »
Anyone?  Is this cheese worth saving?  I've got it in a cool place for now, but I'm not sure the early gas development means I should toss it or not.

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:02:55 PM »
I have never made a jarlsberg or a swiss, but I would keep it the normal aging period and then cut it open and see what it smells like...if it smells ok, then give it a taste.

I could be way off base, but it seems that if it is a contamination thing that you will get more gas development and it will smell really bad funky eventually. As long as the odor is cheesy, I would give it a chance.

beechercreature

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 01:11:59 PM »
you don't really risk anything by keeping it. if it turns out ok, great. if it turns out terrible, you can trash it later.

why not wait?

rosawoodsii

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 09:50:08 PM »
I guess I'll keep it going, then, and hope it turns out well.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2012, 03:00:09 AM »
How is this one coming along?
Did it work out or was it a lost cause?
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

rosawoodsii

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2012, 03:21:24 PM »
Once I removed it to a much cooler place, it settled back down.  I'm now in the warm phase, where it's sitting in a covered container in my kitchen and I turn it daily.  It's looking good on the outside, so I'm hopeful.  I'll be putting it back into the cooler area in another week for further aging.  I'll let you know when I finally cut into it.  ;D

rosawoodsii

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2012, 08:20:13 PM »
I was reviewing my recipe today because the "warm phase" of the Jarlsberg is almost complete.  This cheese definitely isn't acting like it's supposed to.  The first phase, it swelled up, and it was't supposed to, but  settled down when it went into a much cooler place.  Now it's supposed to swell--and it isn't.  It's been in 70°F+ for 4 weeks ad it's looking like it did when I first brought it back to a warm room.  How are the holes to form if it doesn't swell?  I'm not sure, at this point, what to call this puppy--make-believe Jarlsberg?  Norwegian Trickster?

Anyone know a way to get this cheese to behave?

bbracken677

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2012, 08:46:39 PM »
Whip it! Whip it good!   

lol  sorry..couldnt resist....

Since it did balloon up early on, perhaps there are holes already...I have 0 (zero) experience with swiss or jarlsberg, so I am clueless....

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2012, 09:23:18 PM »
You may find it is full of tiny holes about 1/4" - The only way to know is when it comes time to cut it or run it through a cat scan.   ;D
-Bill

bbracken677

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2012, 09:59:37 PM »
or run it through a cat scan.   ;D

Have never figured out how a cat can be trained to operate one of those machines......

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2012, 12:50:18 AM »
I made mine and it didn't swell as much as I thought it should but I decided to re-wax it tonight before putting it back into the cave for aging and, after I stripped the wax off, I noticed a hole where a bubble had formed close to the surface.  It smells wonderful so maybe you should just hang on to yours, if it smells okay, and age it.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2013, 06:29:33 AM »
How did this one turn out eventually?
-Bill

rosawoodsii

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2013, 03:44:37 AM »
How did this one turn out eventually?

Waxed and still aging.  It hasn't been quite 3 months yet.  The recipe says ready at 3-4 months, but will have more character if aged longer.  I'm shooting for March or April.  At that point I'll have either a Jarlsberg celebration or a cheese funeral.

rosawoodsii

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2013, 04:54:14 PM »
I cut it open today.  Good taste, but nothing to write home about.  Not Jarlsberg tasting at all, and much too dry.  Lots of little holes all through it (no surprise there), but disappointing.  I put the larger portion of it back in a container with a damp cloth (not touching).  Maybe it'll help, maybe it won't. 

I wouldn't call it a total failure, but definitely needs work.  My next try will, I hope, be much better.