Author Topic: First Jarlsberg  (Read 2140 times)

BobE102330

First Jarlsberg
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:30:19 PM »
A 3.5 gallon make trying to follow the recipe in 200 easy cheeses. 

My notes are sparse, but I think I may have over brined it.  Some eyes, but not many.  Nice texture, perhaps a bit softer than it should be.  Good proprionic taste though. 

The holes blown together suggests to me that I had enough warm time but either killed the PS with too much salt or didn't use enough.  At least it's an edible cheese.  Grilled cheese for dinner. ;)

Opened it up at 10 weeks, the other half is vacuum bagged for further aging.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: First Jarlsberg
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 06:24:57 PM »
Looks pretty good, Bob. A cheese to you.  :)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

BobE102330

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 06:31:12 PM »
Thanks, Boofer.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 06:46:03 PM »
What kind of culture was used? If it was like MM100 or Flora Danica, types containing ssp diacetylactis or Leuc. mesenteriodes that also product gas, it could have been from them. But I'd expect perhaps more and more evenly distributed holes in that case? Just the other day I forgot about a Baby Swiss I was brining, left it in for 50% again longer than intended...will see what fate I suffer.

BobE102330

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2013, 06:58:50 PM »
I used straight Thermo B on this one.

I may have misunderstood/ memory error, but I think I read that too much salt kills PS. and the holes mostly in the center seem to back that up.  It doesn't taste particularly salty, but my better half uses so much salt I have been numbed to its taste.

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Definitely over brined. after a long palate cleansing break my better half tried some. I could taste the salt on her lips. Lesson learned.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2013, 11:33:08 PM »
Definitely over brined. after a long palate cleansing break my better half tried some. I could taste the salt on her lips. Lesson learned.
Is that the official test for salt levels? Kiss someone who's eaten the cheese? :)

JeffHamm

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2013, 02:00:27 AM »
Is that the official test for salt levels? Kiss someone who's eaten the cheese? :)

Oh, and here I thought they were just fighting over the last piece! ;)