Author Topic: Asiago (Dixon - style)  (Read 455 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 44
  • Default personal text
Asiago (Dixon - style)
« on: April 19, 2013, 11:06:38 PM »
I just realized that I had not posted about this cheese which I made right after taking a class with Peter Dixon. It is now 2 months along, and I made it in a style for eating young. So needing a cheese for an event, I cut it open. Smells really good. Paste is very smooth with a few mechanical openings, but texture like baby swiss without holes. The smell is nutty. The flavor is mild but very good. Too bad all my makes are only 2 gallons, because it sure would be nice on one like this to put some of it away for longer.
Asiago 2-17-13, cheese # 42

Since I just practiced making asiago with Peter Dixon, it seemed a good time to try it on my own. In the class I learned some about what the curd should feel like at different stages, so it was fun to try and reproduce the feeling. This one was aiming toward a younger version of Asiago per his guidelines.

Targets: Drain at pH 6.4 to 6.5, Brine at pH 5.1 to 5.3
Flocc multiplier 2.5

2 gallons non-homogenized, pasteurized whole milk pH 6.7 (Fresco asiago; aged should be lower fat)
1/16 tsp flora danica (I know the high temp will kill it, I just put it in there in hopes of more flavor)
¼ scant tsp Thermo C
¼ tsp Calcium Chloride
1.6 ml single strength rennet (less next time)

10:30  Milk at 70 degrees, I stirred in some Flora Danica in hopes of creating a bit more flavor as advised by Caldwell. I figured that this would not really influence the acidification much. I added it at the lower temperature to give it a bit more time.
11:25 T=95, finished stirring in Thermo C. Interestingly, the fat that had been floating in clumps is now melted. Lid on and rest 30 mins.
12:00 T= 97, pH = 6.6. Stirred in Calcium Chloride and waited 5 mins.
12:05 Stirred in rennet. Flocculation in 11.5 mins. Multiplier 2.5, waiting about 23 mins for time to cut.
12:30 Tested for coagulation by pulling curd away from side of pot… like shown in class! Curd cut 3/8inch as best I can. Boy this sure was easier with the curd harp in class.
12:40 T= 97 degrees: Target 106 degrees in 20 mins…..
1:10  T=106 degrees: hold at 106 degrees and stirring for 20 mins
1:30  T= 106 degrees pH = 6.5: Target 120 degrees in 20 mins
1:58 T=120, pH = 6.4
2:10 Testing curd by squeezing together, it separated into pieces easily. Tested by squeezing all the whey out of a clump, it was springy and stretchy. It tasted squeaky and springy in the mouth. Drained down to level of curd and pressed together with hands. Transferred to cheesecloth lined form.
2:20 Pressing under whey in form, with 5 #. At the end of this the curd was knitting nicely.
2:50 Redressed and into press in form, with 9 # for 60 mins. Small amount of whey coming off.
3:50 Redressed and pressing with 27 #  whey measured at 6.4. The curd was well consolidated.
4:50 Redressed and pressing at 45 #, whey at pH 6.3
7:15 Redressed and pressing at 45 #, whey measuring pH 6.2
9:30 Removed weight and cheesecloth. Back into form. No whey coming off.
9:30 AM next day…  Trimmed a bit of curd off edges. Curd measuring pH 5.6 as best I can tell. Room has been cool overnight. Placed heating pad under press with towel over to create warm area since house is 63 degrees.
5:00 PM, trying to measure pH from bits of curd trimmed off cheese. Not to be counted as accurate, but I think it is pH 5.4. The bits of curd trimmed off have a bit of tang to them, and the body of the cheese is resilient and springy.
8:00 into “cave at 50 degrees

Susan

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline CheeWilly

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 2
  • Default personal text
Re: Asiago (Dixon - style)
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 11:09:13 PM »
Very nice
The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited breath.  W.C. Fields

Offline JeffHamm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 153
  • As goes the cheesemaker, so goes the cheese
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 12:20:20 AM »
Great looking cheese.  Well done.
The wise do not always start out on the right path, but they do know when to change course.

Offline smilingcalico

• A picture is worth a thousand words; but a cheese should leave you speechless.
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 26
    • Artisan Cheesemaker
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 01:17:54 AM »
Damn, Susan, way to detail those notes!  I ought to send you a photo of the appenzeller, but you can see it if you go to my website.  I still have it, with about one month left of aging.   I hope you get to try some of it!!
www.brianackerly.com
Website of an Artisan Cheesemaker.

Offline Tomer1

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 33
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 07:39:16 AM »
Looks great, will try!

Btw, you forget the salting\brine part.
Amatuar winemaker,baker, cook and musician
not in any particular order.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 38
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 11:02:27 AM »
Looks great!!  I did one of these and it is now one of my favorites.  Will have to try your recipe next time.