Author Topic: New Extch meter needs probe  (Read 2668 times)

tnbquilt

New Extch meter needs probe
« on: April 20, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
I just received my ph meter on February 23rd, but now it is flashing renew. It says in the papers that it needs a new probe! That's not a very good sign, 2 months of use and it's already dead. I'll call them on Monday and complain. Maybe they'll replace it.

Tomer1

Re: New Extch meter needs probe
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 04:10:19 PM »
Yep, you have at least 6 months of warrenty on the probe I think.
Did you try to take out the batteries and putting them back in to reset the unit?

tnbquilt

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 05:25:42 PM »
No but I will. I will also call them on Monday anyway.

tnbquilt

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 06:32:23 PM »
It worked! I should have thought of that.

hoeklijn

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 01:10:26 PM »
Had troubles with my Extech as well. At the moment I'm not using it anymore since I had the impression that the few times I used it my cheeses did not get impressively better...

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
I am currently finishing up a cheese I started early yesterday morning that I would have been totally lost in if it were not for my ExStik. I started pressing it yesterday morning and I've been sampling pH reading about every 4 hours, watching it drop. My magic number for moving from the press to the brine is 5.3-5.4. Without my meter I would have already had it in the brine...way early. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2013, 06:44:18 PM »
Hmm, you probably are (again) totally right here. But what was the reason that it didn't drop during the time you normally have it in the press?
Because when the PH had dropped in the normal time, you wouldn't have known that without PH meter, but the cheese would have been OK....

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2013, 07:03:38 AM »
Hmm, you probably are (again) totally right here. But what was the reason that it didn't drop during the time you normally have it in the press?
Because when the PH had dropped in the normal time, you wouldn't have known that without PH meter, but the cheese would have been OK....
The recipe called for this to be a "slow to acidify" pressed cheese...and it was. "Overnight" was what it called for, and I rarely let my cheese press overnight. I guess the ones I have done have met their mark (5.3-5.4) early.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.