Author Topic: Another Newbie Question  (Read 1420 times)

CheeWilly

Another Newbie Question
« on: April 20, 2013, 07:47:48 PM »
I have noticed in one or two posts that blue cheese is normally not caved with a different type of cheese.  My question is why and is there anything that can be done to cave the different cheeses together.  Thanks in advance.

meyerandray

Re: Another Newbie Question
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 07:59:00 PM »
I think a lot of people on here keep their blues in the same cave as other cheeses, but separation is important. The p.roqueforti can easily contaminate other cheeses sharing the same environment, and you could end up with lots of unwanted blues. In the pics I have seen, most use tupperwares to keep their cheeses separate, I find this also helps with better humidity control. If you put them in their own container with a lid, you shouldn't have cross contamination problems-just remember not to cross contaminate with your hands-meaning wash your hands before touching another cheese.

CheeWilly

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 08:02:05 PM »
Good advice about the hand washing.  How do you keep the humidity levels correct if the cheese is inside a container?

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 10:43:35 PM »
You have to "crack" the lid a bit to maintain the correct levels. The lid is offset a bit to allow an open area. Depending on ambient humidity as to how much you offset the lids. There will still be some cross contamination, however. You will just have to keep an eye on your other cheeses and brine wash them occasionally to keep the rinds as you prefer.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 11:52:47 PM »
I cover my shelves with bamboo mats and, when I do a Stilton type I place a tupperware cake lid over it and keep it on the bottom shelf.  After it is done I clean the cave out with water and bleach to rid any errant molds.  Still get a speck or two turning up.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos