Author Topic: Recipe Confusion  (Read 1613 times)

CheeWilly

Recipe Confusion
« on: April 19, 2013, 04:41:44 AM »
I have Ricki Carroll`s book "Home Cheese Making" and visited her site cheesemaking.com. I noticed that the Gouda recipes in the book compared to the one on the website are totally different.  Times, press weights, etc.  Which one of the recipes would give a more authentic Gouda

bbracken677

Re: Recipe Confusion
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 12:22:05 PM »
I would tend to believe the one on the site would be more up to date. I know people have had problems with some of the recipes in her book.

I do not have her book, so I really can not say for sure.  There are excellent gouda recipes here in the forum...you should check them out   :)

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
At one time in the not too distant past, Carroll's book was the only source of cheesemaking knowledge. Now it is not. Its okay to start with, but many of the recipes are off - either not true to form of the intended type, or simply don't work well at producing a good cheese. Most of the recipes on the cheesemaking.com are developed and tested by Jim Wallace, the tech advisor, and they are much much much better. Really the only thing I'd like to see him add are pH targets!

CheeWilly

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 03:00:11 AM »
The website it is.  Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2013, 12:06:35 PM »
Hi there......I agree the website recipes are better and here's another resource from them.  They have this blog with guest bloggers about specific cheese makes.  Sometimes 3 or more versions of the same cheese such as Caerphilly.  You can scroll through and choose which one you want to try.  All have photos and sometimes a video.  It's here: http://cheesemakinghelp.blogspot.com/

Also Gavin's website has a lot of cheesemaking pics and videos although I don't think he uses pH markers.  His site is
www.littlegreencheese.com  Add both of those resources to the Ricki website and you'll have plenty of range.

Good luck!
Kathrin

CheeWilly

« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2013, 07:49:25 PM »
Thanks Kathrin, I now have them bookmarked.