Author Topic: Anari, salting and drying  (Read 4256 times)

CNYquesero

Anari, salting and drying
« on: April 20, 2013, 10:53:29 PM »
Been reading threads looking for info on salting my Anari (made from whey from my sheep's milk Haloumi).
Last night I made the Haloumi. I got a little distracted as I was heating the whey for the second cook and the whey got about 190F (87C). By the time I was ready to scoop it out the Anari curds had already risen and I suspect cooked longer than needed. Now I have to wheels of pretty dry cakey Anari. They seem too dry to cook with or use as normal Ricotta, so I was thinking of trying to hang and dry them. I still don't have salt in them. Would it be best to brine them briefly, dry salt the exterior, or mill them add salt and hope they reform into something I can age out.
Last time I tired this I think put the wheel in brine and it was abysmally salty.  Have to package my Haloumi, will keep my fingers crossed for suggestions!

WovenMeadows

Re: Anari, salting and drying
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
Maybe weigh the anari curd, and stir in 2-3% salt by weight, then press to age.

CNYquesero

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2013, 11:30:00 PM »
Yeah that's what I was leaning towards. Do you think I'll need to heat it up to room temperature or run hot water over it to try and get it to bind back together in the mold? Its in the fridge now. They are pretty knit together wheels right now. 

WovenMeadows

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2013, 11:44:47 PM »
Oh, hmm, maybe you should leave them as is then? You could try instead applying the same % of salt rubbed into the surface, as for a blue or bloomy-rind. Break up the application into smaller does over a few days, to given time to work in. Maybe?

CNYquesero

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 02:33:47 AM »
That sounds like a better plan, I'll try that. Thanks!