Author Topic: My 3rd Brie  (Read 7828 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 3rd Brie
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 06:53:38 PM »
Hi Boofer,

No, the flap just folded down when the cheese was placed on that face.  I try not to trim bits, in part because I don't like corrupting the rind/skin that forms after pressing as this exposes the inner paste.  I'm sure that's irrational (as people have cut cheeses in half at this point and aged the sections separately). 

Anyway, spotted the first small spot of white mould yesterday, and this morning along the side a light fuzz is visible, so things are progressing on schedule.  I should have good coverage mid to late next week I think.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:46 PM »
And today, there is a light velvet dusting of mould over the entire cheese.  It's hard to see, and doesn't photo well (it's a bit shy still) but I'm expecting a full on show in a couple days.  Will wrap once there's a good decent coverage and move to the regular fridge. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2013, 06:10:42 AM »
Hi,

Here's the cheese after 7 days.  The mould has a bit of blue in it.  This is probably due to it being too humid early on, but that was a result of the cheese still draining whey while being in the fridge.  I would flip it, but the surface would be quite wet.  It's dry now, but the dampness allowed some blue to get in there (or the PC is changing colour?)  Anyway, I've had this happen with some cams when things were a bit damp like this.  Not a big problem, as the cheese will still ripen and taste good.

- Jeff

bbracken677

« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2013, 02:44:20 PM »
Lookin' good!

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
Thanks.  It's getting there.  The blue is spreading quite a bit, but from experience it won't ruin the cheese.  I'll be able to wrap this in a couple days I think.  Getting close to full coverage.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 05:21:41 AM »
Wrapped and moved these into the cold fridge this evening.  There's a fair bit of blue on both faces, though the sides are snow white.  Should be ready around the 12th is my guess.

- Jeff

zvisaar

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 06:42:28 AM »
i liked the concept and the shape but don't you have the problem of maintaining the shape  1-2 weeks later when the internal process in the cheese is moving on i mean softening the cheese and loosing the shape??

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 06:08:31 PM »
Hi,

The last one held up fine, and it had ripened to the centre.  It does sag once cut and brought up to room temp, so it's best to keep this in a colder fridge.  But any thicker and integrity would probably become an issue.

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2013, 07:09:44 PM »
Hi,

Well, cut into this yesterday and, unfortunately, unlike my 2nd make, this one was not ripened to the centre.  Not really ripened at all actually, apart from the slip skin.  Not entirely sure what went wrong, but this was a bit wet in the first few days so it could be that geo got out of hand or something, also the fridge was left ajar one night and it might have gotten too warm and sped things up.  It basically tastes like one of my lactic cam makes, so it's quite edible, but nothing like what I was targeting.  Oh well, will have to try again.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2013, 07:14:31 PM »
We'll give you an "A" for effort. Keep plugging away, Jeff.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

bbracken677

« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 08:48:49 PM »
If it's edible, cannot be a total failure, but rather a happy mistake hahah

It looks like cams I have made and aged at too low a temp.  Perhaps when the door was left ajar the outer part of the brie warmed up, speeding the process there, but the center remained cool which maintained a slower pace?

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2013, 12:05:58 AM »
Thanks guys.  It's, not a total failure, but I aged it the same as my previous one, which was a complete success.  This one seems to have gotten out of hand, which creates the slip skin and prevents the interior from ripening.  I do think part of the issue was it didn't quite dry properly right at the start, and I think I should have left it out to air dry longer before caving it.  A bit more stirring too would have helped reduce the curd moisture, and that might have helped.  Oh well, will get there.

- Jeff

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2013, 04:21:50 PM »
May have been a bit too much geo.  Happened with my first ones.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

JeffHamm

« Reply #28 on: May 17, 2013, 06:25:20 PM »
You know, that could be Al.  I get my mould from a store bought cheese.  I just realised I haven't been recording the brand, which was a mistake because I can't recall the brand I used on the one that worked really well.  Must start doing that as that could be a very important variable. 

- Jeff

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2013, 09:39:34 PM »
It's been another couple weeks aging, and it's now ripened through to the centre.  It's quite good, goes gooey and soft and "slumps" when warm.  It's got a bit of bitterness/sharpness as it is now a well ripened brie, but not ammoniated yet.  The rind is a bit thick, and it is probably nicer to just scoop out the innards (in part as the wild moulds that contaminated it aren't entirely the ones I would have selected).  So, basically, this is turning out to be quite a good cheese.  Not as nice as the previous make, but it has just been getting better all the time.  Will try and remember to post a photo.

- Jeff