Author Topic: My 3rd Brie  (Read 7846 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 3rd Brie
« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2013, 05:49:45 AM »
Hi,

We've been busy this past while and never got to this last piece.  Ooops!  It has ripened past it's good phase and was now quite ammoniated.  It was also changing colour on the cut edges to a sort of purple, which just can't be good.  Anyway, this one did eventually ripen all the way through, as is evident by this photo before binning.  Just need to work on this a bit, but getting there.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2013, 01:10:13 PM »
Yeah, for some of the cheeses like this (Reblochon, Pont l'Eveque, Camembert, etc.) the window for optimum enjoyment is fairly small. I've grown more fond of their harder cousins which have a much wider window, hence my attraction to Beaufort, Tomme, and the like.

It is kind of sad when a little cheese has to be unceremoniously dumped. Felicitations, Jeff. :'(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2013, 06:23:02 PM »
Yes, it is a shame to have to dump them.  I haven't had that occur often, so I count myself lucky.  This one ripened on a poor schedule, and the rind got ahead of the paste.  That really shortened the window.  Add to that we (read I) didn't check it frequently enough so that once I realized it was ready to eat, it was already near the end of optimum.  Still, it was quite enjoyable for about a week, so not a complete waste.  I'll get the hang of these mould ripened cheeses yet.

- Jeff