Author Topic: Asiago Pepato (barely Vecchio)  (Read 1840 times)

Spellogue

Asiago Pepato (barely Vecchio)
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:26:03 AM »
I made an Assiago Pepato using Mary Karlin's recipe last September.  I intended to age it for one year.  I had the rind headed in the direction I wanted it to go with just little powdery whisps of wild geo.  Then about 3 weeks ago B.Linens crashed the party.  It looks (and smells) to be a tasty cheese, but not what I was planning. 

I'm wondering if there is a reasonable way to retard or remove the B.L. and keep heading for my one year target.  The more I consider it I'm thinking I should just let it be what it is now and start to feast on it.

Here are are some pics from late October and today.

george

Re: Asiago Pepato (barely Vecchio)
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 09:20:21 AM »
Not that this is going to help you now, but this is why I vac seal everything I'm going to need to age.  Even without any ambient b. linens, I make enough stinkies on a regular basis that there is absolutely no way I can keep it from invading eventually.  Better luck next time?  Looks pretty good, though, pull out that ole vegetable peeler and give it a taste?

meyerandray

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:07 AM »
I have gotten a couple of spots like that of B. linens on my blues (I have made 2 blues, it happened both times) and both times they never took over.  I lowered the humidity in my aging box (opened the lid) and they just remained little freckles that didn't affect the flavor, aging or texture development of the cheese.  I don't know if you will be so lucky, but if it happened twice to me, maybe there is a chance??
I should say that I have been washing (with a plain salt and water light brine, not innoculated with b. linens) some mini-taleggio that I made though, and they don't seem to getting any B.linens spontaneously, so you may have more in your environment than I do. 
Good luck

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013, 04:02:54 PM »
When I brought the wheel to room temp and found it to be softer than I might have expected I carved into it.  It was rather strong.  I enjoyed it more when I removed the rind.  I normally like to eat he rind on most cheeses, but this one had a bite that I didn't like.  Sort of dishraggy, for lack of a better term. 

The wheel has evolved into something other than an Asiago, I suppose.  The paste is a bit aggressive on the attack, but mellows quickly, to perhaps the longest finish I've ever experienced in a cheese.  The finish is of the flavor of a very strong asiago.  I certainly tasted asiago, but I had to wait for it, and the front end is a bit shaggy tasting.  The peppercorns do add a nice snap.

Should have eaten this one at 6 months.  Perhaps I could have waxed it then, or a little sooner, for a keeper.  I'll have to try it both ways next time.