Author Topic: feta and a pink discoloration that starts on the muslin  (Read 380 times)

Offline peri7132

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
feta and a pink discoloration that starts on the muslin
« on: May 04, 2013, 02:31:24 PM »
I have just made 2 different batches of feta the first one friday when I checked about 4 hours later after hanging the butter muslin had a pink discoloration starting at the top it hadn't reached down to the actual feta, thought maybe the muslin was old discarded it and used new muslin I had just started using rehung when it was ready to be sliced and salted  there was some pink discoloration in a few places and only where it touched the muslin so I experimented after trying to research with out luck so I placed 2 pieces in its on container with the pink on a few places and heavily salted, placed 3 pieces and cut off any pink and salted as usual placed 3 peieces cut off all pink and salted as usual. The 2 pieces still had the pink so cut it all off as of right now no pink  3 pieces had pink on areas we didn't cut off that had been against the muslin cut all muslin touching edges off no pink now and the other 3 no pink made another batch and hung it 1 in new butter muslin and 1 in a new bag that i got at a wine store that is a nylon type bag the muslin one has pink both above the feta and also in areas that are touching the muslin. the nylon shows no pink that i can tell but harder to detect since it isn't as fine.

I can't believe I can't find anything or anyone that knows about this
probably have made 50+ batches of feta and this has never happened
1.is it because I am making Chevre at the same time as I am making the feta I can't remember in that past if I have done this before
2. from what I could find for other pink discoloration is it from the high humidity I don't keep track of weather long term but at this time it has rained no sun for 3 days but I can't believe i haven't had weather like when I have made feta before

anyone have any clue
Lavender Hollow Farm
Reg. Nubians and amatuer maker of soft and mold ripened cheese

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
Re: feta and a pink discoloration that starts on the muslin
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 06:16:41 PM »
the only thing that comes to mind, for me, is b.linens.  It is often used to ripen certain types of cheeses (like a muenster, for instance) and is also often found running wild in nature. It may be contamination from the muslin, or from your hands.

If I understand how it works it is commonly found on the human body and is not something to worry about although I have never seen it on feta. I believe that feta should normally be too salty to harbor it.

Offline peri7132

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 10:28:23 PM »
the discoloration happens before salting and starts on the muslin both old and new interesting do you know if b.linens is found in  the feta culture
Lavender Hollow Farm
Reg. Nubians and amatuer maker of soft and mold ripened cheese

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 14
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2013, 02:13:12 AM »
No, B Linens is not a part of making Feta.
If it is B L then it has come from the environment as bbracken said.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline BobE102330

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 19
  • chilihead/cheesehead
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2013, 05:51:47 AM »
It strikes me as a heavy / aggressive contamination if you're seeing pink develop over the course of a few hours in the make. You may want thoroughly sanitize everything in and around your next make. Review your sanitizing procedure for effectiveness. Are you boiling long enough? 

I had a linens contaminationldevelop in my cave that's was a bear to eliminate. I ended up with a couple unintentional linens rind cheeses when I was away a week. They were tasty but I was trying for montasio.  :-\

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.