Author Topic: Stilton update  (Read 1966 times)

seemunkee

Stilton update
« on: May 09, 2013, 12:40:37 AM »
My first attempt at a Stiltonis now 6 weeks old and I'm not sure what to think.  I bought a small wine cooler and used it for the first time, but it has caused some issues with condensation.  The cake container that I have the cheese in is close to the cooling coils and the condensation that forms drips onto the cheese.  Here ate a couple of pictures.  Should I cut it open and see what I've got?  Let it keep on aging? 

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Stilton update
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:48 AM »
It certainly is looking interesting.
You could take a core to see what it looks like inside (an apple corer will do the trick)
Post pics if you do. :)
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

seemunkee

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 03:28:51 PM »
Had not thought of using the apple correr.  I'll give that a try tonight.

seemunkee

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2013, 02:08:17 AM »
Used the apple corer as a trier, and it is not good.  Very acidic and don't see any blue inside.  I have a high tolerance for funky smells and flavors, but this testing my limits.  I don't have anything else to go into the wine fridge, so I'll leave it in for a few weeks longer.  After that, we'll see how it develops.

Zoey

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2013, 06:22:02 AM »
Based on the pictures, it is probably quite soft? And now that you say there is no blue inside, I wonder if the softness closes the pierced holes to close... they look quite small?

Maybe bigger holes would keep open better?

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2013, 09:24:13 AM »
That's disappointing, it looks nice and creamy as it should, but no bluing.
Zoey's suggestion on making larger holes to prevent them closing over is right on the mark.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

seemunkee

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2013, 11:37:56 AM »
I'll repierce it, but the flavor is so acidic and sour I'm not sure if that is going to help. 

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:04:53 PM »
For your next make, try cooking and stirring a bit longer.  Firm curds maintain some air space for the PR to grow.  Aging was probably a bit moist, since PC grew so well.  Do you have a hygrometer for your cave.

In this one, if you look closely you can see some piercing holes that didn't grow any blue because the environment was too dry. Too dry, too wet. Small changes make major changes in the outcome.  I forgot to pierce until around 2.5 weeks, so it's probably safe to say that the internal blue grew in the inter-curd spaces. 

« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:17:58 PM by BobE102330 »