Author Topic: Rennet adjustment for Creamline Milk?  (Read 1560 times)

orion113

Rennet adjustment for Creamline Milk?
« on: May 16, 2013, 09:26:44 PM »
I have not cracked them open yet but, it appears I have had some success with a couple of Manchego's using P/H milk.  Trader Joes here has creamline milk that I have read gives better results than homogenized milk.  Do I need to adjust that amounts of rennet or Ca Cl when using this non-homogenized milk or do those items remain pretty much the same quanities?

Sailor Con Queso

Re: Rennet adjustment for Creamline Milk?
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:14 PM »
Search on flocculation

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 10:41:23 PM »
I use the Cream Top milk from Trader Joe's. The dairy code on the container indicates that it is from Strauss Creamery, which is a very nice source for milk. Using flocculation as a guideline, I have been using less rennet, trying to get the time to flocculation to be around 12 mins or a bit more. I use a single strength liquid calf rennet, and for 2 gallons, I measure out about 1.5 ml, or a little less even.  Regarding the Ca Cl, I have used 1/4 tsp or 1/2 tsp, and cannot tell the difference in the end product. I have not tried going without...
Susan

orion113

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 10:45:49 PM »
Ah ha, excellent.  Sounds like great information on a starting point.  I have been using the Floc method on my last couple of makes, seems to be working well so at least I will be able to note the difference, if any, in time to cutting.  I have also switched to the syringe for measurements, as opposed to eyeballing the old measuring spoons.