Author Topic: Floating Curds  (Read 2642 times)

tnbquilt

Floating Curds
« on: May 26, 2013, 08:28:31 PM »
I am making cheddar cheese today. I have 2 electric roasters with 4 gallons of milk in each one. On one roaster the curds rose to the top and floated. On the other roaster they sank to the bottom like I've always had happen. Does anyone know why the curds would float? The PH level seemed to be right during the whole make. Do you think it is a milk issue?

linuxboy

Re: Floating Curds
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 08:38:08 PM »
Almost always, due to trapped gas, which is produced by yeast, coliforms, Leuconostocs, or similar bacteria.

tnbquilt

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 01:41:51 AM »
I looked up those words and it seems to be things that are related to what the cow ate. The coliforms one said something about could be fecal matter related. That bothers me. Of course it said other things were more likely but just throwing those words out there worries me. It's cheddar, so I do age it for 6 to 9 months, so I don't know what to think right now.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 02:30:26 AM »
Make as usual and taste it later. Chances are, will be just fine.

tnbquilt

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 03:24:14 AM »
Thanks. I just started buying my milk from a new person about a month ago and this worried me.

Spellogue

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2013, 06:23:30 PM »
When I make semi-lactics the curd sinks, then floats, then becomes fluffy (usually).  That happens over a 12 - 18 hour period.  I consider that normal and the cheeses turn out to be wonderful (usually). I use raw goat milk and age those cheeses 2-8 weeks. Give or take.  I wouldn't worry too much.