Author Topic: tallegio with meso?  (Read 1590 times)

jeads

tallegio with meso?
« on: May 04, 2013, 12:41:29 AM »
hello all,

I am wanting to make a tallegio this week, but have a very limited availability of cultures in Paraguay.  Can i do this with the basic meso from CHR-Hanson R-704.  I can also get a yogurt culture from them as well. 

If so , what would i change from the peter dixon recipe. 

Thanks
John
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 02:07:52 AM by jeads »

bbracken677

Re: tallegio with meso?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 03:22:56 PM »
I am not really familiar with the recipe, but I gather it is made with thermo culture?
If so the cooking temps would be wrong for meso.  Perhaps you should try using the yogurt culture and then you could probably follow the recipe verbatim.

Can't really offer better suggestions, sorry.

jeads

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 03:59:57 PM »
Thanks
Yea, the recipe has a thermophilic culture, but the temps are more aligned in my head with a meso:

"Raw milk in small cheese vats (up to 200 liter or 62 gallons) at 92-95° F. No starter is used for fresh milk direct from milking. For older, stored milk starter culture is added:
Use 2.5 DCU (1/4 tsp) of CHOOZIT TA050 for 100 lb. milk.
(Double the amount of starter culture for pasteurized milk)

Ripen milk for 60 min.
Add 9 ml single strength rennet for goat and cow milk and 7 ml for sheep milk (100 lb. milk).""

I think i will do a small test with each and see what comes out best. I think that this TA050 is a slow acidifying culture so i am a little anxious about the yogurt culture.

I am also searching for other cultures, but have had little luck at this point.

We use raw milk and i can get it fresh and warm from milking, but the milking is done by students at our farm school, and the process is anything but sterile, so i always pasteurize before using it.

Thanks
John

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 06:46:52 PM »
Is there any way you can perform or supervise the milking for a batch so as to be comfortable that the milk is not contaminated so that you can use raw milk?  For a clean milking use sanitized stainless buckets and wipe down the udder with a chlorhexadine solution, or a solution made from chlorine bleach and water before milking.  Then whisk the milk away to cool it as quickly as possible if not proceeding directly into a make.  Use a properly sanitized filtering device. Good sanitation is what you want to achieve, sterile conditions are pretty much unattainable.  Don't worry about a few stray hairs or a fleck of hay, but if the animal steps in the bucket the game is over.

Not saying you can't make an excellent product from pasteurized milk with the addition of the right cultures, but the probiotics in good raw milk will almost always result in a superior end result. IMHO