Author Topic: First Jarlsberg Opened!  (Read 1670 times)

High Altitude

First Jarlsberg Opened!
« on: May 05, 2013, 06:25:32 PM »
(Really annoyed because I just LOST my entire write-up and attachments on this when the internet went down...was seconds from posting....arrghh!) :o

Anyway, I finally opened the Jarlsberg during my parents' recent visit :-).  Mom is Norwegian (citizen) and Jarlsberg is her favorite cheese....and she loved it (Dad, a Polack, did too)!  So pleased that it had holes consistently throughout (be they tiny), and the aroma and taste was just as I had hoped.

I warm aged this for 6 weeks on the kitchen counter with daily flipping.  It released oils (butterfat?) during much of the time, which eventually dried out for the most part.  The rind was slightly tough (though edible and quite tasty), and the interior was as moist and creamy as it looked.  The wafting smell of Jarlsberg was heaven during the daily flippings throughout the process...mmm, waiting for this one was rough!

I am so happy with this one that I have already made another for my Danish cousin's visit in June.  This time I will not do the initial wax coating for the 2 week cheese-fridge phase, since it split anyway and had to be removed for the warm period.  Hoping I will get a similar result, or perhaps even better "eye" production with this minor change in process. 

I couldn't be more pleased for a first Jarlsberg attempt!  Go Cheese  ;D!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: First Jarlsberg Opened!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2013, 07:00:35 PM »
Looks great! Gives me inspiration to keep waiting for mine to swell. Not much happening yet at about 1.5  weeks in the warm phase. Small amount of rounding on top... But it sure does smell good!
A cheese to you on your success and for feeding your family!
Susan

High Altitude

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2013, 07:24:45 PM »
Awww, thanks snasnerkay!  Mine started swelling in the second week in the cave (hence the split wax), but really did more in the second week at the warm phase.  It mostly swelled on the sides, and just a little on one top side, so yours sounds like it's doing good!

Did you wax this one?  I am hoping that not waxing the next one will maybe allow for even more PS development!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 07:04:28 AM »
Those eyes, although small, are nicely positioned throughout the block and definitely worth a cheese for the result.

I also love the smell of Jarlsberg.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2013, 05:05:53 AM »
I did not/have not been waxing any cheeses since I had a hard time with the wax about 1.5 years ago. This is my third swiss type, and I have generally just lightly rubbed with olive oil after the rind is dry (at about 1 to 2 weeks) in order to keep the rind pliable as it (hopefully) expands. Then after done with the warm phase I have vacuum sealed them.
Susan

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 11:14:41 AM »
I did not/have not been waxing any cheeses since I had a hard time with the wax about 1.5 years ago. This is my third swiss type, and I have generally just lightly rubbed with olive oil after the rind is dry (at about 1 to 2 weeks) in order to keep the rind pliable as it (hopefully) expands. Then after done with the warm phase I have vacuum sealed them.

I have used olive oil rubbing quite a bit on cheeses (though not Jarlsburg) for the same reasons but have recently been enjoying coconut oil even more.  I can create a thicker coat of it and after a bit of mold growing on the first layer ot two it just stays pristine after the third layer.  It gets to be a nice thickness and at aging temps it's fairly solid.  I can rub it now without adding more.  If it gets too soft/oily at room temps when it's time to cut it I plan on wiping the layer off with toweling.  (don't use disposable paper products here but I imagine a paper towel would work though I'd choose a brand that doesn't use dioxin to bleach the paper fibers)

High Altitude

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 05:30:22 PM »
Thanks guys!  I am sitting here today, evaluating my latest Jarlsberg airdrying peacefully on the counter, and really wondering whether to wax it before I put it in the cheese cave for a couple of weeks.  It is dry to the touch today (after about 5 days airdrying), and because of the split wax issue last time I think I may go with the olive oil or coconut oil coating that you so kindly suggested. 

Is there anyone out there who says "foul...don't coat it!" before I do this?  Will it dry out too much in an aging box in the cave if left 'naked' and then risk cracking (eeek!) when I take it out for the warm phase??

Thanks for any additional advise, but if I hear nothing further, I will proceed to the oiling (because I can already see some swelling and I need to get this thing in the cave quickly).

Cheers!