Author Topic: Valencay yogurt?  (Read 1400 times)

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 5
  • -- Matt --
Valencay yogurt?
« on: May 06, 2013, 09:52:52 AM »
I attempted my first Valencay like cheese this last weekend and I got yummy yogurt. I followed Christy's Recipe closely. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,10871.0.html The following is what I did.

Valencay

1 Gallon P/H Cow milk

¼ tsp mesophilic culture Aroma B

Pinch p. candidum

Pinch geo. candidum

1.5-2  drops rennet

Sterilize everything with hot bleach water

Warm 1 gallon of milk in water bath to 72F

Add Aroma B and both molds, mix into the milk

Dilute 1.5 drops rennet in ¼ cup of cool water add incorporate into the milk

Allow curd to set 24hrs

Possible errors are:
Temp in the house was about 65 all day, low inoculation temp
I am using new double strength rennet, therefore i used half in Christy's recipe. I believe this to be the problem.

The curd did not hit clean break after 24hrs, just tart yummy bucket of yogurt. Later this week I think I will try again and better regulate temp and add more rennet.

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 16
  • I love me some cheese!
Re: Valencay yogurt?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 02:33:37 PM »
I never use bleach....what if you have some bleachy type contamination?  I place everything in my vat along with an inch of water and then just steam everything for about 5 minutes.

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • -- Matt --
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2013, 03:10:50 PM »
I generally wash in bleach, rinse, dry, then i have a basin of warm water and star-san that I sanitize with before and during makes. Hold over sanitation from beer making, tho at the brewery we used PBW for cleaning and Iodine for sanitizer. Good cleaning practices help make great beer and cheese.

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2013, 05:17:37 PM »
Another possible cause could be the milk itself. Have you made much cheese with the milk you used? If you are confident it makes a good curd that is one thing, but if it was the first time you have used it that could be your culprit.

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • -- Matt --
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2013, 09:15:16 PM »
I bought a gallon this evening to attempt again. This time I hit the temp thus far and added four drops of rennet. The milk is from the store three blocks away, IGA brand milk. I have used the milk in many cheeses, it is inexpensive and close at hand, otherwise the fancy (I imagine with a top hat and cane) is twice the price and a considerable huff on the bicycle up a rather large hill. Both clean break well, one is way tastier.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 79
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2013, 06:07:02 AM »
I never use bleach....what if you have some bleachy type contamination?  I place everything in my vat along with an inch of water and then just steam everything for about 5 minutes.

Bracken, how do you sterilize the mini-cave boxes and the plastic grids?  I tried the steaming method with those plastic grid pieces (the ones for fluorescent lights) and they slumped!  Also, I'm not sure how to clean the mini-caves.....seems like they still have stinky cheese smell even after a thorough washing with hot soapy water.  I don't want to use bleach because of the environmental impact and even if I start using hydrogen peroxide (I'm considering that) it's hard to imagine getting it thoroughly onto all surfaces of the grids.  I figure they didn't have bleach or Starsan in the olden days and many amazing cheeses were made.......  ???   I'd love to hear what others do.....

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
  • Making cheese since October 2012
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2013, 10:47:24 AM »
Why not use salt and vinegar? Maybe with a little soap as well.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline bbracken677

• Old Cheese
  • I love me some cheese!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2013, 10:56:15 AM »

Bracken, how do you sterilize the mini-cave boxes and the plastic grids?  I tried the steaming method with those plastic grid pieces (the ones for fluorescent lights) and they slumped!  Also, I'm not sure how to clean the mini-caves.....seems like they still have stinky cheese smell even after a thorough washing with hot soapy water.  I don't want to use bleach because of the environmental impact and even if I start using hydrogen peroxide (I'm considering that) it's hard to imagine getting it thoroughly onto all surfaces of the grids.  I figure they didn't have bleach or Starsan in the olden days and many amazing cheeses were made.......  ???   I'd love to hear what others do.....

I use the steam method for my make tools, which are stainless...I place the mold on top of a steamer basket so it isnt in direct contact with heat, but rather just being steamed and dont leave them in there long.

After using the tools I place them in the dishwasher to clean before storage. 

For the plastic grids I run them through the dishwasher as well prior to storage. Prior to use I just wipe them down with a saturated vinegar and salt solution. A quick rinse and they are ready for use! 

That does not prevent contamination in the cave, however.  I have wiped my cave down with the saturated vinegar and salt but I fear that is a losing battle with various cheeses in containers with the lids cracked.  Eventually I will have a cave for the bloomies and such and another cave for the hard cheeses that have been vacuum sealed. Unless I have a cave for just the blues I cannot picture a set-up that prevents all cross contamination in the cave.

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • -- Matt --
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 11:48:43 AM »
Alas, failure once again... or more yogurt. i followed the same recipe while adding four drops of rennet. The temp dropped to 72 over night. I have since purchased a better quality P/non h milk. I hope this is the solution, other wise i will have to examine the rennet. it is new to me from cheeseconnection.net. more science in the kitchen! As thomas Edison would have said, I discovered another way not to make Valencay.  On a happier not I opened a havarti, post soon to come.

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • -- Matt --
Valencay Ya!
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 01:53:44 PM »
This past weekend I again attempted the Valencay, It's turning into an obsession! I got the good milk, lifeline creamery from Victor MT. I also used some older rennet that i know works. I followed the same make as before and after 18 hours I had a well set, maybe too well set, curd. The previous problems are now narrowed to the new rennet and the generic milk. Further experimentation will show which of the two or if it is both is the problem. I have since ashed/salted the lovely pyramids and placed them in the cave. The pc/gc was already blooming after just a half day. in a few days we shall see the, or better yet taste, the results.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 79
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Valencay Ya!
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 09:44:46 PM »
This past weekend I again attempted the Valencay, It's turning into an obsession! I got the good milk, lifeline creamery from Victor MT. I also used some older rennet that i know works. I followed the same make as before and after 18 hours I had a well set, maybe too well set, curd. The previous problems are now narrowed to the new rennet and the generic milk. Further experimentation will show which of the two or if it is both is the problem. I have since ashed/salted the lovely pyramids and placed them in the cave. The pc/gc was already blooming after just a half day. in a few days we shall see the, or better yet taste, the results.

If your PC and Geo is blooming that quickly you may want to cool them down a bit.  Remember to pat down the fuzz regularly and wipe moisture off the sides and top, etc of the box if it's in one.  Keep us posted!   ;)

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • -- Matt --
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2013, 11:08:02 AM »
Definitely needed to cool. Went in the cave at 50 degrees. I was shocked to see such quick growth. It has since slowed to a more manageable speed. Fingers crossed.

Offline mdmoore00

• Medium Cheese
  • -- Matt --
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2013, 04:59:56 PM »
Some pics for the looking. I waited 12 hours between ashing, the 12 hour older are considerably more molded. The older ones had 12 hours more of 70 degree temp.