Author Topic: Creamy Colby  (Read 1169 times)

High Altitude

Creamy Colby
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:19:18 PM »
Opened my first ever Colby and was happy.  It was soft and creamy, and sliced beautifully.  Decent flavor of Colby...mild, with light saltiness on the tongue.

Liked that it was basically rindless (with the waxing) but might be fun to make the next one with a natural rind.  Any suggestions on how to treat the rind for best development?  I know I need to get over it, but molds still frighten me a bit  :o.  Thanks.

This will become a 'regular' make!

bbracken677

Re: Creamy Colby
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:25:24 PM »
Really nice job and a cheese for your success!

What recipe did you use? Did you use raw or HP milk?

High Altitude

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:27:03 PM »
Thanks bb!  Used Mary Karlin's recipe.  It's just a 2 pounder.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 06:30:14 PM »
Very nicely done!  Most of my makes are 2 pounders. I got a large tomme mold to make larger cheeses and then the reality of my cave jolted me back to earth.....not enough room to start putting 4 pounders in hahaha

So until I make more room or get another cave, I will have to stick with the 2 pounders.

High Altitude

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 06:54:53 PM »
Haaa, that's funny bb!  I have a larger 8" mold as well and used it to make a couple of cheeses that came out kind of wide and flat (and here I got it because Mary Karlin's recipes call for that size), so switched to a s/s 5 1/4" mold and that is much better suited for her recipes in fact.

How many cheeses do you have aging in your 'cave'?  Mine is fairly small as well, and when it comes to getting aging containers in there, well, I have to judiciously pick my makes.  I can say though that at one time I had 15 cheeses in there!  I sometimes make the waxed cheeses just to save space.

And sorry I forgot to answer the milk part of your earlier question....used Royal Crest Dairy milk (HP) that I have delivered from a local dairy.  I think it's definitely better quality than the usual stuff I used to get at the grocery.

bbracken677

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 07:07:22 PM »
haha I just counted. 15 is the number, how's that for coincidence!!

I wish I could have milk delivered...talk about fresh! The best I can do is get it from Central Market which sells more milk than any other grocer around and it is always fresh (by date...about 2 weeks out) but I doubt it's as fresh as delivered from straight from a dairy! I can get, and occasionally do, raw milk. I save those makes for special occasions cause the drive is a fairly long one, specially in Dallas rush hour traffic.