Author Topic: Gorgonzola Dolce  (Read 3529 times)

CheeWilly

Gorgonzola Dolce
« on: May 11, 2013, 01:47:36 AM »
I was talking to myself the other day and said "Self, you have two Gouda`s under your belt that you are aging at the present time, so why not jump on an advanced cheese and make a Gorgonzola Dolce?"  I said, "Self, that is a hell of an idea" .  So here`s to hoping I have not talked myself into a disaster.  This cheese was created on 5/3 and just today I noticed some tiny little specks of blue on the outside.  I will be poking some air holes in the cheese in the morning and will grab some pics of the cheese and blue specs.  This  picture was taken after multiple flips in the mold overnight during the initial make.  I used the recipe from the cheesemaking.com website.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Gorgonzola Dolce
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »
Lookin' good. There are lots of spaces for the blue to set up house!
Well done!
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

bbracken677

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 05:55:45 PM »
What recipe did you use?  What you have done is looking really nice...just need to get some more purty bluuuue going  ;D

CheeWilly

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 02:18:23 AM »
I used this recipe:  http://www.cheesemaking.com/GorgDolce.html
I did not get a chance to pierce the cheese today, but will tomorrow.  I will update then.

CheeWilly

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2013, 01:04:00 AM »
Got a nice surprise today when I pierced the cheese.  It is getting this blue stuff in certain locations.

hoeklijn

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2013, 07:25:26 AM »
That's a fine looking cheese. Mmm, maybe this recipe is a candidate for one of my next makes, since I finished my Bleu d'Armand last weekend...

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2013, 12:55:58 PM »
Looks good CheeWilly , I have a couple more going myself.

I just love the blue cheeses !

Cheers , Jim.

CheeWilly

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2013, 12:30:36 AM »
Thanks for the comments.  Things are really picking up since yesterday.

hoeklijn

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2013, 04:08:23 PM »
What kind of cheese mats are you using there?

CheeWilly

« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2013, 09:37:48 PM »
They are florescent light covers that I bought at Home Depot.  Here is a link showing them.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Lithonia-Lighting-4-ft-Replacement-Diffuser-L2GT-PLTS-R5/100579509

Here is some updated pictures also.

hoeklijn

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2013, 11:02:03 AM »
LOL, already thought it was something like that. Have to keep my eyes open for something like that. I like the fact that they are higher, so when some whey comes out of the cheese in the beginning, the cheeses won't lay in it.

CheeWilly

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2013, 04:09:11 AM »
Went from pretty blue to light green in one day, is this normal?  Anyone who has made a blue?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2013, 09:26:14 AM »
LOL, already thought it was something like that. Have to keep my eyes open for something like that. I like the fact that they are higher, so when some whey comes out of the cheese in the beginning, the cheeses won't lay in it.

Herman, I use these too and see them in lots of forum photos. I use a regular cheese mat over it, especially important with softer cheeses unless you want a pillowy tufted surface.  I don't have a dish washer and don't have a good way to sanitize these so I tried steaming......and got some nice slumped pieces.   ;D