Author Topic: alpine farmers cheese  (Read 3762 times)

reg

alpine farmers cheese
« on: May 27, 2008, 09:25:37 PM »
tomorrow i will be making another batch of the Alpine Farmers Cheese but this time will be working on trying to firm the cheese up a little. instead of going with whole milk will be trying 2% this time and will be changing the cooking temp to 145* instead of 139*

will keep you updated on the outcome

reg

Cheese Head

Re: alpine farmers cheese
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2008, 10:23:11 PM »
Good man, send us some pictures, hope you are going to try a wine bathed - washed cheese . . .

I saw on your Alpine Cheese recipe that you use yogurt as your starter. Yogurt is also the basis for the Thermophilic Starter recipe posted here. While yogurt is a culture used for most hard cheeses requiring cooking temps over ~ 38 C / 100 F, the question is how high can you go before killing it! The text on Cheese Making on CheeseForum.org website says good up to 132 F/56 C, but you've already been above that and all is I hope good. Good luck going to higher temperature to I assume expel more whey before pressing and thus attain a harder cheese . . .

reg

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 11:51:44 AM »
morning CH. yes this one today will be the rind washed Alpine style cheese. going to go with port

not sure how high you can go with temp on thermophilic cultures before you kill them off but we have already been to 39* or 102f

was reading somewhere yesterday that some Alpine cheeses were taken to 40-50*c. will see if i can find that info again at some point today and will post

reg

reg

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 12:53:35 PM »
found those numbers in the book American Farmstead Cheese, page 4 where the author talks about Alpine cheese. here is the quote " (2) cooking the curds to very high temperatures (122 to 129* F/ 50to 54* C) for extended time with vigorous stirring which greatly enhanced curd shrinkage and whey expulsion "

now that high temps !

reg

Cheese Head

alpine farmers cheese
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 11:07:17 PM »
Hope you are getting your temp's correct good luck and let us know . . .

reg

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2008, 11:40:21 AM »
hi CH. cooked the curds to 42*C then finished everything up. the wheel came out looking normal. guess we will have to wait and see what happens during the finishing stages so it will be a while before i can report back

reg

Cheese Head

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2008, 02:36:24 AM »
Good man, congrats on everything going well :). did you notice from the curd consistancy before pressing if you achieved less whey and thus probably resulting in a drier Alpine Cheese?

reg

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 10:59:50 AM »
morning Ch. i did notice a few things different mainly the texture of the curd was quite different that what i have had in the past. much more firmer, thats for sure. as for the whey never paid much attention but would have assumed there would have a been a bit more. i did forget to mention that i did cut the curds smaller than the last time

can't wait to try it to see how much difference there will be with using the 2% milk, the higher cooking temps and cutting the smaller curds.