Author Topic: Ewephoria  (Read 1796 times)

Priestman

Ewephoria
« on: May 11, 2013, 11:11:23 PM »
Any ideas about how to make this cheese? 

http://www.worldaccordingtocheese.com/2011/10/ewephoria-for-tastebuds.html

A lady at the farmers market today bought some Manchego and said her daughter was a big cheese buff (what sensible person isn't?), and she had a cheese blog.  So I checked out her blog and came across this gouda-type sheep's milk cheese that sounds interesting, and perhaps delicious. 

So, before I start throwing milk at trying to figure this out, I'd appreciate suggestions, direction, etc. 

bbracken677

Re: Ewephoria
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2013, 11:16:46 PM »
Reading her description makes me want to give it a try.

I wonder how the sweet tasting finish is accomplished?

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2013, 11:58:33 PM »
Likely due to proline (or some combo of threonine, asparagine, phenylalanine). Accomplished through adjuncts or SLAB blend for gouda. In danisco's line, eg flav 43 and the can of fb304.

bbracken677

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 12:10:11 AM »
Totally cool! Thanks LB!

Priestman

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:14:56 PM »
All right.  I'll keep you apprised when I tackle this little baby, probably not until mid to late summer.  Thanks.

JimSteel

« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2013, 10:35:17 PM »
Did a speck of reading.  The cheese has zero sugar content, so I have to wonder how much like candy it actually tastes.  Yet every article or review I see of this cheese is comparing it to "very sweet" butterscotch, or caramel.  They must use a very specific culture.  Reading the description reminded me a lot of the Dubliner I just got a block of.  Very fruity and "sweet" it was.  I wouldn't quite describe it as butterscotch though....