Author Topic: My first Caerphilly (a goat one)  (Read 1260 times)

Spellogue

My first Caerphilly (a goat one)
« on: June 08, 2013, 07:58:55 PM »
I've been digging through last season's notes and finding a few pictures to match.  Here is a description of the Goat Caerphilly I made.  I aged it because I had other cheeses ready to consume at that moment that wouldn't last longer. The cheese is gone but the pleasant memories linger.

CA10B 10/10/12   Goat Caerphilly
6 quarts goat milk
Bring to 90
Starter cultures
1/4 tsp meso 101
1/32 tsp thermo C
Ripen 40 min
Calf rennet 1/32 tsp
50 min clean break
Cut into 1/4 in cubes
Set 5 min.  Gently stir. 30 min. Bringing up to 95  cover pot and let stand at 95 for 45 min.
Drain through cheesecloth lined tome mold.  Press under 10 lbs for  20 min.  Redress. Press under 15 lbs for 18 hrs.
Brine in medium whey brine for 24 hrs.  Air dry 2  days. Wipe with salted vinegar.  Dry 45 min.  Wax.  Refrigerate.
Affinage:  at least 2 months.
4/24/13.  Have been eating for a month now.  Aged nicely.  Sharp but not overpowering.  Clean flavor. No lemony taste that I was hoping for though.  Perhaps it was the goat milk or the aging that subdued those flavors.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 01:54:22 AM by Spellogue »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: My first Caerphilly (a goat one)
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2013, 10:44:25 AM »
Looks great though I confess I was excited at first thinking you'd coated it with a cocoa powder/oil layer.  A little disappointed to read it was wax.   ???  Caerphilly is a nice cheese.  What's the difference between a Caerphillly and a cheddar other than aging time?  That's always been a bit confusing to me.  Just made a chive Caerphilly yesterday and may age it out longer than usual.  Nice cheese, nice photos!  Thank you for posting!   :)

Spellogue

Re: My first Caerphilly (a goat one)
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 03:22:54 PM »
I was waxing a few smaller cheeses and decided I would wax this one since I already had the wax heated and I knew I would store this one for a while.  I' m glad i waxed it.  the cheese was pristeen when i cut into it.  not but ten days  later one of the cut edges started bluing.  Since it was my first Caerphilly I wanted to stick to the basics before experimenting with coatings and rind treatments.  On my next one I'll probably keep it simple again but eat it young.

I've done paprika rubs, honey rubs, and various fat coatings on other cheeses, but wanted to try Caerphilly straight up first.  I've never had a storebought Caerphilly, never even seen one here in the Midwest.  This is the only one I've ever eaten and it is made with goatmilk.  I'm curious how different they migh be made with cows milk.

I've seen a lot of variety in the Caerphilly recipes on the forum.  Some use a cheddaring process. Many, like this one, don't truly cheddar the curd but include a matting stage.  Inbased this recipe on th 200 easy cheeses goat milk caerphilly recipe.  I thought that matting instead of cheddaring is one factor that distinguished a Caerphilly from a cheddar cheese, but then again many farmhouse cheddars do not use a true cheddaring process either.  JeffHamm, for one, would be able to shed better light here I'm sure.