Author Topic: Caerphilly 3  (Read 4225 times)

BobE102330

Caerphilly 3
« on: May 12, 2013, 04:41:35 PM »
I got my first specific cheese request.  My girlfriend's daughter asked for "that crumbly cheddary cheese".  It doesn't seem long ago that we were at the "Are you sure it's safe to eat?" phase with her and her family. It felt good to get the request, especially considering she works close to a very nice cheese shop. 

I'm using the recipe JeffHamm posted http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,6613.msg53285.html#msg53285 but scaled for 3.5 gallons. I used Flora Danica this time because it was the first meso starter I got to in my freezer box.  (I made another Stilton yesterday) I got a little warm in the cooking phase, 35-6C  Now draining before cheddaring.  No interesting pictures yet, will post one out of the press and progress pictures as appropriate. 
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 04:53:20 PM by BobE102330 »

BobE102330

Re: Caerphilly 3
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 05:21:57 PM »
Guess I could have drained longer or given it a squeeze before cheddaring.  Some of the curd slabs fused together during cheddaring.  The salted curds barely fit in my 7.5" x 3.75" tomme mold, which tells me they are a bit wet. 

Cheddaring process.  Cutting the mass, and stacked

JeffHamm

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2013, 08:21:50 PM »
Looks good.  The make you linked to is one that has consistently worked well for me.  Glad to hear it's doing well for you too. 

Also, a lot of makes indicate that the curds will fuse during cheddaring, though I rarely have that happen, so it sounds to me like you're spot on.  Nice.  Look forward to seeing the final result.

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2013, 09:22:05 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement, Jeff.  I've used the 200 Easy recipe a couple of times which spawned the request. It's more of a stirred curd type that is brined rather than mixing salt with the curd. Not sure why I decided to try a new recipe for a request, but here we go.  At least I'll see how I did in 3 weeks rather than a year.

JeffHamm

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2013, 11:45:59 PM »
Yes, I've tried the 200 Easy one too, and it is very similar.  I've also been trying a historical procedure, that so far has turned out a bit dry and flavourless.  I would like to get that one working as well, but the one you're going with is my favorite so far.

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2013, 11:00:17 PM »
Three weeks old tomorrow, but it will go another week before I see the requester.  Just a touch of geo on this one.  The only other cheese in this cave is my Stilton, so I've been battling blue invaders.  It's almost a washed rind.  The faces never fully dried out, so I see a bit of linens too.  Smells cheddar like in spite of that.  Looking forward to opening this one. 

JeffHamm

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 12:50:45 AM »
Looking good Bob!  With a good knit, the blue will just be surface decoration, it won't do much to the internal paste.  Until, of course, you cut it! :) 

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2013, 04:10:52 PM »
Time to open this one. Unfortunately the requester is away for the weekend. Going with the house rule of "you snooze you lose" we opened the wheel. Nice texture, it didn't have the stick to your teeth feel of the last one. Flavor was rather mild, like a young cheddar. Perhaps it's the nature of the FD starter or I killed off a bit with my poor temperature control. It was pleasant eating out of hand and will be good on hamburgers this afternoon for those that don't want my chipotle cheddar.

We are saving a bit for my girlfriend's daughter.

I fixed the picture.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 11:23:54 PM by BobE102330 »

JeffHamm

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2013, 06:56:16 PM »
Very nice looking result.  A cheese to you.  You mentioned some issues with temperature control, but I don't see your make details?  I think if the temperature stayed under 40C though you should be fine.  I forget the temperature that kills off the meso cultures, but I think it's around 42 (coincidence?  you decide.  Film at eleven). 

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2013, 08:39:42 PM »
I only hit 36. So I guess it's FD instead of my usual culture mix.

Thanks for the cheese.

BobE102330

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2013, 04:47:46 PM »
Caerphilly cheeseburgers were tasty but the cheese didn't get runny. It just barely wilted on the grill. In the microwave it gets soft and can be spread but holds its shape until pushed. Is their normal for Caerphilly? 

JeffHamm

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 01:22:10 AM »
I know some people have reported they get really good melting caerphilly.  Mine hasn't been, but melting qualities are tied to the acidity, and if it gets overly acidic, I think the cheese won't melt.  I've had other cheese melt like a dream (my first Dunlop was brilliant) and then follow the same procedure and it failed to melt.  Again, I think proper pH monitoring is the way to take care of this with any cheese (he says, still meterless).

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 10:57:48 AM »
That's odd because it has no bite, which I assumed was acidity. I may have to to buy a meter.

JeffHamm

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 06:39:59 PM »
I'm not sure what the tang is that caerphilly normally has.  It has to do with being young and fresh, as apposed to acidity which has long lasting effects.  There are so many aspects to cheese that interact with each other a lot of things are more a result of a combination of things rather than a thing in and of themself.

- Jeff

BobE102330

« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 10:46:05 PM »
It's a journey.  Hoping I can get texture like this one with a bit more tanginess next time.