Author Topic: My Introduction  (Read 1172 times)

wibekah

My Introduction
« on: May 12, 2013, 05:32:19 PM »
Hello,

My name is Sasha and I live in Suffolk, Virginia close to the North Carolina border.  I've just started making cheese, although I've dabbled a few times in the past.  I am using store bought milk.  I have goats but have never milked them.  I am thinking of starting but it seems like quite an undertaking.

BobE102330

Re: My Introduction
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2013, 06:28:08 PM »
Welcome, Sasha.  I had 8 years homeported in Norfolk in the 80s.  Its amazing how much the area has developed since then. 

Go ahead and milk those goats.  Is there anywhere down there to get raw milk? Try the Farmer's Market for creamline milk.  I've found it works a lot better than store bought.

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2013, 07:29:07 AM »
Welcome to the forum Sasha and greetings from the neighborhood of the famous cheese city called Gouda, The Netherlands.
You will find a lot of info here and also other people milking their own goats, e.g. Tiarella. She is making wonderful cheeses...

jwalker

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2013, 01:08:18 PM »
I have goats but have never milked them.  I am thinking of starting but it seems like quite an undertaking.

It is time consuming and has to be done regularly , so it kind of ties you to the farm , but if you like the lifestyle that goes with it , it is well worth it.

Oh , and welcome to the forum , lots of good info and people here.

Cheers ,Jim.