Author Topic: camembert "stable" taste  (Read 1713 times)

Hansadutta

camembert "stable" taste
« on: May 17, 2013, 02:15:25 PM »
The subject may sound as if I created a terrible cheese but that is not the case. I am not even sure if it is a problem or just a sign of using raw milk and that my taste is the real problem.

I made camembert according to the wiki recipe. http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,11376.msg87785.html#msg87785
It looks great and there is barely any scent. (During the ripening there was a period in which it would smell like socks, (in an nice way) but this completely disappeared.)
When I tried it there is a taste (no smell) that I can best describe as stable. Or a wet cow sitting next to you on the bus. It is in the background and the cheese is ok but it is THERE.
Does anybody have an idea what caused this and how to prevent it?

Thanks
Hans

Alison

Re: camembert "stable" taste
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 01:32:43 PM »
Hi

Raw milk cheeses do have some "perfume". One of my cheeses regularly has a "barnyard flavour" (polite for cow poo). A microbiologist I asked said it was probably coliforms. I know that coliforms are a sign of poor milking hygiene, but I'm convinced the same flavour occurs on raw milk reblochon's, even those exported from France to UK supermarkets.

Raw milk has risks, but so does driving, you can decide you risk level.

regards
Alison

hoeklijn

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 03:11:31 PM »
I just to pick up my milk during milking time, in the stable where the milking is done. I love the smell, the warmth and the sounds of the cows.
But I guess the taste you're talking about is different. I once made 2kilo of Brie where I used too much P. Candidum Neige, which is a quite aggressive mold. Combined with a RH that was too high this resulted in a very distinct smell which was a mix between sulphur and ammonia.
But the surprising part is that the taste was excellent. But because of the smell it was impossible to serve it.
Your case seems to be the other way around however...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 06:24:18 PM »
I only use raw milk but there is no barnyard smell to any of my cheeses so I'm not sure the raw milk is the answer.   ???

Hansadutta

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2013, 07:51:36 AM »
Dear All,

Thank you very much for your replies. I tried the second cheese a bit colder. About 15 minutes out of the refridgerator and I could not taste it anymore.

The strange thing is that there was no bad flavour at all. Only a little taste. Since I did not expect it it was a bit disturbing. (specially for a beginner) I also used (a little) P. Candidum Neige. Maybe a differrent one next time.

In cheeses I also enjoy stinky ones. (I started Munster about 10 days ago.)

Since it was apparently a very exceptional situation I guess I will accept it as one of life's great mysteries.

Hans