Author Topic: Adding fruit to white Stilton  (Read 1587 times)

lead_dog

Adding fruit to white Stilton
« on: June 03, 2013, 11:22:48 PM »
I'm interested in trying my hand at adding fruit to a white "blue", similar to http://www.gourmet-food.com/gourmet-cheese/white-stilton-cheese-with-mango-and-ginger-1000320.aspx

My question is about adding the fruit. Should it be freshly sliced? Dried? Sweetened?

Other than that, any other changes from a normal blue make procedure, other than excluding PR?

I'd appreciate any expertise you have to share.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013, 12:47:50 AM by lead_dog »

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Adding fruit to white Stilton
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 01:34:23 AM »
I would doubt that fresh mango would last very long after slicing and would break down fairly quickly.

Their list of ingredients is what you should be following:
Ingredients: Pasteurized cow's milk, sweetened dehydrated mango (mango, sugar), crystallized ginger (sugar, ginger), salt, flavoring, rennet, dairy cultures, potassium sorbate, citric acid, sodium bicarbonate, sulphar dioxide as a preservative.

The sweetened dehydrated mango (mango, sugar) and  crystallised ginger (sugar, ginger) will  typically have some sort of preservative, eg Sulphur Dioxide, to make then keep longer.

Look in the supermarket for for packets of dried mango and crystallised ginger.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

Offline NimbinValley

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 7
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 01:35:17 AM »
If you are not going to eat the cheese straight away you will need to process the fruit in some way to deactivate the enzymes in it that will start to degrade the cheese - most commonly this is done by cooking.

NV

shotski

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2013, 02:21:26 AM »
That sounds great. I am really interested in trying this one and will be following this thread. Please keep us updated as \ if you proceed.

John

lead_dog

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »
Thanks. That's super helpful. I'll make a batch soon and try dried peaches and share results.