Author Topic: My second blue - I tweaked it !  (Read 958 times)

jwalker

My second blue - I tweaked it !
« on: May 19, 2013, 02:25:39 PM »
I think I'm finally getting the hang of this cheese thing , my blues don't come out very blue , but then , that's just the way I like them.

I'm probably not using enough blue in the slurry , or not aging long enough , this cheese is about 7 weeks old.

I'm guessing it's also picking up some B linens somewhere , as it gets very pink/orange on the rind.

Anyway , I pierce a little less and add a little more salt , as that's the way I like it , and it turns out fine.

My wife loves it too , and she's generally not too keen on blues , she even eats the ugly rind on this one , it's great , in fact the rind is the most tasty part.

My last blue/cambozola was a little runnier , but then it was a few weeks older.

I think I have hit the sweet spot for my own personal cheese.

I have a Stilton and another Blue aging right now , but will try to age them for three months or so.

Cheers Jim

CheeWilly

Re: My second blue - I tweaked it !
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:39:03 PM »
Nice job Jim.  The reason we do this is so we can develop what we like.  A cheese for you!

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: My second blue - I tweaked it !
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:51:33 PM »
The BL certainly has gotten hold of it.  8)

7 weeks is a little early to get full blue development, but if that's the way you like it then go for it.  :D
-Bill
One day I will add something here...